Rant about budget bikers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agreed, on both points! I use SPD's too. I spend so long getting in and out of pedals for traffic lights round london, SL's would be a pain in the... Plus, I can walk in my SPDs which you can't do with the more road specific shoes. This means I can go to the pub after work on a Friday, pull some jeans on over my lycra, and not look like a complete plum dropping three pints on the way back from the bar because I can't stand up straight, like I would if had road shoes with SL cleats on...

Same here. SPDs for road bike. I want shoes I am able to walk in, not tiptoe around like a tiptoey thing:smile:

Julia9054

Guru
I like my triple. It gets me up hills!

Davidc

Guru
As I said earlier, I don't give a damn what anyone else has attached to their bikes. I do find it amusing that some others do.

I think however that my tongue -in-cheek, and possibly slightly provocative, post may have finally got to the bottom of Boris B's problem.....

I hate triples because people with triple-equipped, super-fandango, carbon-whizz, triple-ringed, titanium-bolted rockets who use them to beat me up the Malvern Hills are cheats and liars and cads and worse.......

It's really that Boris B just isn't fit enough, and to justify his lack of stamina and muscle power resorts to blaming the equipment on other people's bikes for their being able to overtake him on hills!

Got news for you Boris - even you would overtake me on any uphill, I'm just plain slow. I just accept it though. You need to work on dealing with your issues and sense of inferiority!

There are of course alternatives. Carrying a bag of hawthorn cuttings - good spikey ones - and dropping them on the road behind you when your hated rocketeers approach might work. Provided they don't have puncture proof tyres of course. I could go on, but you should be getting the idea!

If you're young enough and in good shape some heavy training might do the trick, if not you may just have to learn to live with it. Just like the rest of us more mature cyclists.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Bless you, my son. God admires and respects a compact chainset. So do his pals who are the gods of other faiths.

Slightly kooky, but not evil and not a sacrilege per se.

You may continue as you are, budget or no budget.

Do you see how the triple-riding infidels on these pages rage impotently against my wisdom?

Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

Is it ok to have a triple if the each have the same amount of teeth?

Is it ok to have a triple if the each have the same amount of teeth?

No, but it might be OK if you drill them out to save weight.

You'd be making a sort of Holy Trinity.

God is chuckling in an omniscient and omnipresent sort of way even as I type that....

He's much cooler these days and less likely to judge or to punish people for doing stuff like turning round to see their city being destroyed.

I fear you triple-lovers have pulled this thread terribly off-topic. I was making a rational and logical point, but you had to bring God into it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I like my triple. It gets me up hills!
It makes all the difference when you're out riding with the lycra cladded ones :becool:
I am a goody 2 shoes single speed rider most of the time. When the peleton calls, I change to be a triple riding infidel :laugh:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
There are no triple riding infidels. Just people making the most of mechanical advantage, which I don't recall hearing any Holy Writ about in confirmation class. Might be a little more exacting to shift, but I have a strong preference for the triple, although, living where I do, I seldom actually have a real need of one. But when I need it, it sure comes in handy. In the hills, also.

I stripped down a Triban 3, converted it to Fixie and put a chainring on the front that wouldn't have me spinning to highly on the steep hills. You can see my bike here.

I am also sponsored by Assos and Castelli, it's just sometimes i prefer to wear Aldi clothing. :whistle:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There are of course alternatives. Carrying a bag of hawthorn cuttings - good spikey ones - and dropping them on the road behind you when your hated rocketeers approach might work. Provided they don't have puncture proof tyres of course. I could go on, but you should be getting the idea!

Won't work. People sensible enough to have wide-ranging gears (which means a triple) are also sensible enough to use Marathon plus or Durano plus.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
May not be totally related but I did see this the other day:

970475_565109136868727_163506785_n.jpg

Expensive 9070 Di2 groupset, VERY expensive lightweight wheelset............Cheap Chinarello imitation carbon frame...and look what happened. Now this begs the question why spend all that money on the parts yet go cheap on the bit that's most important, especially given the outcome.

deanE

What's wrong with triples?

..........Although in likelihood God did not invent the road-racing bicycle we can be pretty certain that had He done so, it would have been with Campagnolo componentry and two chainrings with 39 and 53 teeth or something in that order of magnitude. .........I hope I have explained the arrant stupidity of triple chainrings on a road-racing bicycle in a way that even the intellectually challenged will understand. Please do not ask for further clarity, as I do not gladly suffer fools.
What’s all this about road-racing? Its against the law to race on the highway, unless it has been closed for that purpose.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
May not be totally related but I did see this the other day:

Expensive 9070 Di2 groupset, VERY expensive lightweight wheelset............Cheap Chinarello imitation carbon frame...and look what happened. Now this begs the question why spend all that money on the parts yet go cheap on the bit that's most important, especially given the outcome.

Why do people do this? I see a lot of cheap chinese products in this part of the world. Stainless steel that goes rusty, pumps that fall apart etc, you get the picture. The result is always predictable.

Top Bottom