Rant about budget bikers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Same here, unless its better than mie and I get jealous :sad:

Hey @Milzy, something that may get you to rip out the remainder of your hair...

My Giant SCR3 came with a Sora triple... AND I UPGRADED IT TO A 105!!! (The sudden sound of screeching discordant violins accompanying Milzy's fresh tonsorial devastation!)

I can't stand triples they infuriate me. 105 !!! You should have at least gone with Shimano Dura ace 7900!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I did find it odd when I once saw a lad riding a Halford's Trax dual suspension MTB with SPD-SL pedals and shoes. I wasn't annoyed or angered, I just found it a curious mix, as his pedals and shoes will have cost more than the entire bike.

But he may have other bike(s) as well - I used SPD-SL pedals on my 'lethal impact' bike last year, which was cheap/tacky/handpainted/awful. That's because I had them on the other bikes too and it made sense.

To make things worse, they were Dura-Ace pedals as this was what I had to hand. On a Tony Doyle Ammaco bike which cost £0 to buy and £20 to rebuild.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm one of a small proportion of road bike riders who use SPD pedals. I couldn't care less about the convention, I just find SPD pedals easier and more convenient to use than SPD-SL. As Milzy said: plenty of smiles while doing the miles, nothing else really matters :smile: .

Reactions: 4F

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I worked bloody hard to afford the cost of a new bike and waited quite a while before I could afford it . I think I did my homework and spent what was within my budget at the time . Had I waited longer the money wouldn't have been there to buy the bike . Everyone seems to grab my money as soon as it hits my bank account :angry:
If I had a spare few grand the last thing I would spend it on is a fancy pants bike ( Don't quote me on that ) But when I get a spare few quid and want to treat myself I add bits to my new toy and it makes me feel good as I worked hard to do so .
It may be a false economy but its just they way things are .

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
OP, at the end of the day, that triban 3 you describe, might be every bit as beautiful and well crafted in the eyes of the owner as your top if the range machine may be to you.

Why shouldn't they put what they want on what they perceive to be their decent bike and feel good about it? It's a damn sight more positive and constructive than sneering at other people's rides to make you feel good about it.

Be thankful that you can afford what you perceive to be your dream machine, ride it and enjoy it.

Misusawa

It depends on what you can afford as well, I stretched my budget to spend £250 on a half decent hybrid which i will expect to last me a while, anything more expensive or addign expensive parts is out of the question on my budget.

Mile195

Veteran
I'm one of a small proportion of road bike riders who use SPD pedals. I couldn't care less about the convention, I just find SPD pedals easier and more convenient to use than SPD-SL. As Milzy said: plenty of smiles while doing the miles, nothing else really matters :smile: .
Agreed, on both points! I use SPD's too. I spend so long getting in and out of pedals for traffic lights round london, SL's would be a pain in the... Plus, I can walk in my SPDs which you can't do with the more road specific shoes. This means I can go to the pub after work on a Friday, pull some jeans on over my lycra, and not look like a complete plum dropping three pints on the way back from the bar because I can't stand up straight, like I would if had road shoes with SL cleats on...

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Tot
Agreed, on both points! I use SPD's too. I spend so long getting in and out of pedals for traffic lights round london, SL's would be a pain in the... Plus, I can walk in my SPDs which you can't do with the more road specific shoes. This means I can go to the pub after work on a Friday, pull some jeans on over my lycra, and not look like a complete plum dropping three pints on the way back from the bar because I can't stand up straight, like I would if had road shoes with SL cleats on...[/quote

Totally agree but I am definatly seeing a shift towards them when commuting in London. I think people want the freedom they give you to do other things whilst combining them with their cycling I know I do.

Born2die

I'm in the spd on my road bike troop too makes sense as my mtb has pd pedals too and I can still be comfortable on longer rides plus as other people say I can pop into town/shops etc and walk ok.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are an awful lot of road cyclists using SPDs in this area. I currently have them on both of my road bikes, though I would like to go back to using my Sidi shoes and Look pedals on my best bike, when I am fit enough to be sure of getting up our steep local climbs on it despite its higher gearing.

My £50 Look pedals & £100+ Sidi shoes look better and are slightly more comfortable than the cheap SPDs & Aldi shoes that I am using, but for general riding (especially when I know that I will be wandering around at cafes), SPDs are brilliant.

Kies

On the process of swapping my M324 pedals over from hybrid to roadie. Why? This Fridays fnrttc where lots of standing and walking is involved.
I love the connected feeling of my look keo pedals and Mavic road shoes, but they are only good for long rides with a short cafe break

Top Bottom