Rapha and Marco Pantini

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any good? I really want to see this film.

Today is Fursday so I'm going this evening and will let you know my verdict once I get home.

A general rambling post before moving onto the movie: that must be the first time in years (15 or so if not longer!) that I have been to a movie that was not a kids movie. An audience full of adults is strange entity; there were blokes dressed in Team Sky t-shirts and Rapha t-shirts and I wondered if in years gone buy they'd have worn a sheriff's star to go watch a James Stewart western; there were "hipster cyclists" with their manbags and tight skinny jeans who arrived just in time; one bloke in his cycling top who could not find his ticket and spent ages rummaging through his rucksack, whilst all the time I was looking at him thinking "it'll be in your back jersey pocket you nobber", who then found it in his back jersey pocket; a few couples who appeared not quite sure if they had made the right choice; blokes in groups with bottles of Sol; and a group of "women of a certain age" a couple of rows in front of me, one of whom asked "so what's this about?" to which one of her group replied "a cyclist", a moment of silent contemplation from the questioner and then "that fellow Armstrong?" at which point I wanted to vault the seats and slap her...I missed the conversation for a short while and then heard her say something like "oh before that, he must be one of the original cyclists". I pictured myself chopping her head off at this point.

Onto the movie: a good mix of old footage, pictures, comment from contemporaries, Wiggins saying a few sentences (not quite sure why he appeared tbh), Rendell providing some context, and comment from Pantani's parents and friends, and those involved in anti-doping at the time; and interviews with Pantani himself. The story was well enough told, some quite amusing moments when he buggered off up the road on turbo power which drew chuckles from the "race chaps in the know" in the audience, some quite sad moments especially when his mother was speaking, and some very insightful comments from Pantani during his interviews which I'd imagine were creatively edited but to good effect.

Overall I thought it was worth watching, it presented him as a victim of the system, warm, driven and fragile. It also highlighted the extent of EPO abuse in the peloton in the 90s. Not as in-depth as the book, but not surprising as the book involved some quite complex data.

I suppose that's quite a neutral review; I didn't want to rush back and watch it again but I would if the chance arose.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'd never get a job as a movie critic would I?

I don't know.
You seem to have summed up the film quite well* and the description of the audience is something that Mark Kermode doesn't do enough.
He's certainly not, to the best of my knowledge, wanted to slap anyone watching a film, unless they've breached his (sensible IMO) rules.

* I haven't seen it yet; I'm hoping to fit it in somehow. Your review has encouraged me :thumbsup:.

marcusjb

The film is certainly worth seeing and it is a reasonably balanced take on some interesting times in pro cycling.

His story is fascinating and much of the footage reminds you just how exciting he was to watch and makes you long for someone so combative in the peleton today.

Could have done without the graphic shot of Casartelli early in the film - it is a haunting image that has been with me since the incident and it isn't one you need to see again.

The wheel and the centrifuge cliche got a little tiring (especially using a shimano hub......).

At the end of the day, it doesn't provide answers, but highlights the questions of 'darker' forces at work.

As I said, I think it is reasonably balanced in then end. Some astonishing footage of pantani putting the hammer down.

It was definitely worth seeing - whether it was worth the £19!!! that Curzon Victoria charged me is debatable.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The film is certainly worth seeing and it is a reasonably balanced take on some interesting times in pro cycling.

His story is fascinating and much of the footage reminds you just how exciting he was to watch and makes you long for someone so combative in the peleton today.

Could have done without the graphic shot of Casartelli early in the film - it is a haunting image that has been with me since the incident and it isn't one you need to see again.

The wheel and the centrifuge cliche got a little tiring (especially using a shimano hub......).

At the end of the day, it doesn't provide answers, but highlights the questions of 'darker' forces at work.

As I said, I think it is reasonably balanced in then end. Some astonishing footage of pantani putting the hammer down.

It was definitely worth seeing - whether it was worth the £19!!! that Curzon Victoria charged me is debatable.
Yebbut.....
... he was able to put the hammer down and keep it down cos his blood was as thick as pea soup. His attacks wouldn't have been as explosive or decisive in the modern era - cf Contador post-steakgate.

Yebbut.....
... he was able to put the hammer down and keep it down cos his blood was as thick as pea soup. His attacks wouldn't have been as explosive or decisive in the modern era - cf Contador post-steakgate.

For me, that point was not made in the movie or if it was it was not made strongly enough. His explosions of speed were all "fuelled" by EPO but the impression left from the movie was that he would have still been a champion - which we should all know by now is not the case! The movie also did not highlight just how early in his career he was taking doping products. But, as I said, it was decent enough.

suzeworld

Veteran
Thanks.
Stoke on Trent is in the Midlands, about 1/2 way between Manchester and Birmingham. It offers great cycling into the Peak District, but otherwise a fairly depressing location.

I might see it at Shrewsbury

Top Bottom