Rapha and Marco Pantini

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The Duke of York, Brighton – 24th June
Our local arty farty picture house. I may need convincing that I want to see it though.
edit - I'm away on hols then, so my indecision has been decided.

Pantani is still revered in Italy. Yesterday was Pantani day in the Giro. I took a picture of a huge mural yesterday on the climb of Montecampione where Pantani won n 1998. There is one of Hinault further up. I guess they will have to find space for Aru now. Sorry, can't upload it as I had hoped as I am on an Android device.
Lots of people doing the tribute thing yesterday. Old shirts, pirate style headscarves. Nobody talking about drugs (well, I guess, my Italian is more than limited!)
What did Pantani do to get forgiven that Armstrong didn't? OK, rhetorical question. I think we know.

thom

____
I ordered the DVD. I </begin Oirish> made the calculation </end Oirish> and it is the same price as a cinema viewing in London and I hope to learn something. But I have mixed feelings about Pantani and indeed my interest was piqued by a link to Michael Hutchinson's new book about his obsession to eke out more speed. Clean. The kindle excerpt talks about him beginning to feel regret as reduced doping later in his career brought the performances of others within his reach as indeed his powers diminished. I might prefer to see a film about him.

@thom

Have recently started reading his book and i find it both amusing and interesting. He has quite a dry sense of humour.
I do think he's a bit nuts though! Sleeping in an altitude tent every night for weeks on end is not the behaviour of a normal person. He has pretty much tried everything legal to eek out more speed.

thom

____
Watched The Pantani film last night. Interesting as it was, it is weak on many important journalistic aspects.
There is a good amount of insinuation that isn't followed up, for example why a young Pantani described the people in cycling as like the Mafia.
They don't seem to ask any difficult questions of the team owner, his best mate or his mother about how much they knew about his doping. The story of how he was singled out for testing isn't fleshed out as much as it could be. And for me, the strange and perhaps unique venerating relationship in Italian culture between Tifosi and cyclist isn't questioned.

This is a biopic rather than a documentary - the opportunity to ask difficult questions is avoided in preference of cycling footage.

Edit: That said, there are extras I haven't watched yet that may offer something different.

suzeworld

Veteran
So they finally got it on Manchester ( today and Weds at the corner house).. Well worth the £6 ticket, and added pleasure of type-spotting in the audience with the help of Marmion's pocket-guide. :thumbsup:

Loved the contributions from his mum, she made me cry a couple of times. Enjoyed the sight of the classic footage on a big screen. Broadly i agree with the other comments made already.

I left the cinema wondering which of the great victors was ever clean in the past? If you're going to be black and white about doping in cycling you may as well give up any interest on it, and certainly ignore the past altogether and not revere any of them. Which I am not going to do.

Maybe the only certainly honest way to enjoy this sport is to get on your bike n peddle for fun.

>>>aside I have read the whole thread now, is this sub-forum 'really' only for professionals? I'll slide off now, then .. I only got directed here cos I asked about this film.:shy:

thom

____
>>>aside I have read the whole thread now, is this sub-forum 'really' only for professionals?
Whatever gave you that impression ?
It is about pro racing and in my opinion is at it's best and friendliest when concerned with current racing events. Unfortunately it has a bad side, often getting sidetracked away from the racing as such by people pre-occupied with narrow issues. The next 2 months surrounding the tour will be the worst for this. Then it becomes saner during the Vuelta again.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Pantini was the pirate, named such because of the bandana he always wore. Possibly the best climber of his generation and adored by many for his continuously attacking style. He was accused of doping but never actually tested positive and was only disqualified because of irregular blood values.
Pantani died from cocaine abuse in 2004 something he used to combat depression which he claimed was due to accusations regarding his doping.

Imho Pantini was a troubled soul who did not have the most fortunate of childhoods.I have no doubt in my mind that he was doping or that equally he was an exciting talent and character. He deserved to get banned and removed from the sport. He did not deserve to die alone to such a horrible drug and addiction.
It is sad that doping has destroyed hero's and superstars. It has taken the lives of young men who dreamed of racing bikes when they were younger.. Thats why I would wear a Rapha Pantini Jersey as I think its important to always remember the true cost of doping to the sport of cycling and nobody highlights this greater than Pantini. We need to remember to ensure it never happens again.
^^^This.

The cocaine abuse, to me, was a personal thing to Pantani. If we accept that he did dope (although as Mr H says no positive test) he still made a lot of people (also highly suspect in the doping bit) look incredibly ineffective whenever the road went upwards.

Doper? Probably. Entertaining? Certainly. Would I wear a Rapha Pantani top? Probably not but only cos I think Rapha is poncy. (I already have a Pantani t-shirt)

suzeworld

Veteran
@ Thom. I got the impression from some things said in this thread. Pleased to hear I was mistaken.

I'm not a regular here, but I like a bit of Tour related chat, so that's when I mainly come by.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
^^^This.

The cocaine abuse, to me, was a personal thing to Pantani. If we accept that he did dope (although as Mr H says no positive test) he still made a lot of people (also highly suspect in the doping bit) look incredibly ineffective whenever the road went upwards.

Doper? Probably. Entertaining? Certainly. Would I wear a Rapha Pantani top? Probably not but only cos I think Rapha is poncy. (I already have a Pantani t-shirt)
Probably?????
The only doubt is weather he had more EPO than blood or the other way round:tongue:

Top Bottom