Rapha and Marco Pantini

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Je ne compris pas. Mais ici nous est.
The correlation between being a self-gratification artist and being prepared to dope seems pretty high - nothing written in this thread would suggest otherwise.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Pantini was the pirate, named such because of the bandana he always wore. Possibly the best climber of his generation and adored by many for his continuously attacking style. He was accused of doping but never actually tested positive and was only disqualified because of irregular blood values.
Pantani died from cocaine abuse in 2004 something he used to combat depression which he claimed was due to accusations regarding his doping.

Imho Pantini was a troubled soul who did not have the most fortunate of childhoods.I have no doubt in my mind that he was doping or that equally he was an exciting talent and character. He deserved to get banned and removed from the sport. He did not deserve to die alone to such a horrible drug and addiction.
It is sad that doping has destroyed hero's and superstars. It has taken the lives of young men who dreamed of racing bikes when they were younger.. Thats why I would wear a Rapha Pantini Jersey as I think its important to always remember the true cost of doping to the sport of cycling and nobody highlights this greater than Pantini. We need to remember to ensure it never happens again.

Last edited:

thom

____
Pantini was the pirate, named such because of the bandana he always wore. Possibly the best climber of his generation and adored by many for his continuously attacking style. He was accused of doping but never actually tested positive and was only disqualified because of irregular blood values.
Pantani died from cocaine abuse in 2004 something he used to combat depression which he claimed was due to accusations regarding his doping.

Imho Pantini was a troubled soul who did not have the most fortunate of childhoods.I have no doubt in my mind that he was doping or that equally he was an exciting talent and character. He deserved to get banned and remove from the sport. He did not deserve to die alone to such a horrible drug and addiction.
It is sad that doping has destroyed hero's and superstars. It has taken the lives of young men who dreamed of racing bikes when they were younger.. Thats why I would wear a Rapha Pantini Jersey as I think its important to always remember the true cost of doping to the sport of cycling and nobody highlights this greater than Pantini. We need to remember to ensure it never happens again.
I wouldn't wear a Pantani jersey myself but I have to say, I can understand this argument and for me it is one of the best made arguments I have seen for remembering and marking Pantani's life in such a way.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Haha 6th of April was my first time back on the bike after 7 years and only got shoes and bibs bought on the 10th. So chill out strava stalker.

And doping includes a whole range of things. so whilst it would be far fetched to say I was pushing blood bags into myself. Its not terribly far fetched to say someone took test and other anabolic jabs, e
You're not good enough to have doped - we've seen some of your Strava rides:tongue:
Although, from looking at some of your posts, maybe you were mistakenly injecting EGO :laugh:

phidrine and prescription painkillers without having a chit.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You're not good enough to have doped - we've seen some of your Strava rides:tongue:
Although, from looking at some of your posts, maybe you were mistakenly injecting EGO :laugh:
Out him by posting his strava data lol

Hont

Guru

Imho Pantini was a troubled soul who did not have the most fortunate of childhoods.I have no doubt in my mind that he was doping or that equally he was an exciting talent and character. He deserved to get banned and removed from the sport. He did not deserve to die alone to such a horrible drug and addiction.
I recommend that anyone interested in Marco Pantani read Matt Rendell's excellent book - The death of Marco Pantani. It casts doubt on his talent, suggesting that his physiology reacted incredibly well to EPO. So rather than being a huge talent caught up in the doping of the times, the doping actually made him the rider he was.

He certainly was, though, a troubled character and no-one deserves to die of a cocaine overdose. It is, by all accounts, both an unpleasant way to die and something that takes an enormous quantity of drugs to achieve.

I wouldn't buy a Pantani shirt any more than I would buy a shirt of anyone from that era.

JasonHolder

Out me?
Screenshot_2014-05-01-15-17-39.png
Screenshot_2014-05-01-15-16-02.png
Haha ilI'll save you the trouble princess.

oldroadman

Veteran
Nothing wrong with the recorded ride - very pleasant little steady ride. It's a funny old digital world where anyone can post their records for all to see, still if that's what floats your boat, fine. I'm an old dinosaur, all to complicated for me, can hardly read my computer to see the averages and pulse rates!^_^

JasonHolder

Isn't it just! I'm riding without any computer just yet
Nothing wrong with the recorded ride - very pleasant little steady ride. It's a funny old digital world where anyone can post their records for all to see, still if that's what floats your boat, fine. I'm an old dinosaur, all to complicated for me, can hardly read my computer to see the averages and pulse rates!^_^

.. Its very peaceful and a good way to enjoy yourself.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
£100 up in 5 races (might just about cover the price of a good tub) and clean as a whistle me, where do I sign?

Isn't it just! I'm riding without any computer just yet

.. Its very peaceful and a good way to enjoy yourself.

Does Strava on a phone not count as a "computer"?

Top Bottom