Rat traps, toe clips, toe cages....!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I will admit to still having some on my older bikes, but for serious riding I tend to fit SLs. Just don't feel safe not cleated.

D

Deleted member 1258

Only stopped using them about two years ago, using click R SPD's now, but I've still got toeclips on the bike on the turbo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharky

Guru
Brought up on them, but switched to clipless soon after they were brought out. Liked toe clips, but I don't miss the effort trying to line up the shoe plates and fixing them with nails, or losing circulation in the feet when you tighten the straps up too much. Still got a few leather toe straps around and I use them to hold my tool kit/spare under the saddle.

Last edited:
I have them on all all of my bikes.

Used them since I got my first 'real' MTB in 1997. Come to think of it I think they're the same cage, so not bad service for 20y.

The commuter has them too, but I'd have fitted them if if didn't. The 'new' 'tourer' currently being built will too.

Like @Oldfentiger I'd find it hard to put SPD's into my shoes, in my case steel soled work boots...

By 'rat trap' do you mean the luggage rack? I use those too.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
I still use toe clips on both my old (1994) Dawes Mean Street XT and newer Thorn Sterling. I tried the SPD things but I kept falling off! :rolleyes: I am sure I could have got used to them but my bunion-deformed feet make it impossible to find suitable shoes. I have rear racks on both bikes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I will admit to still having some on my older bikes, but for serious riding I tend to fit SLs. Just don't feel safe not cleated.

I don't like the idea of either toeclips or cleats, I reckon they make accidents more likely to occur in the first place and more serious when they occur, than using flat pedals. I've only ever used toeclips once, set very loose and wearing normal footwear. That was on a Dawes Galaxy set up for touring that I was having a go on and the bike itself was lovely - but the toeclips weren't! Wasn't impressed at all by them.
I've witnessed several "offs" in London traffic where the cyclist was cleated and remained attached so they went down in a heap mixed up with the bike, whereas if they'd have been riding on flats they might have been able to bail out or get their feet down and avoid coming off at all. Unless you are racing hell for leather I see no advantage in mechanical attachment to the bike. For general recreational and utility cycling, being able to keep your feet on the pedals is simply a non-issue.

I have the half toe clips on all my bikes including mtb.

My main reasons are: I have never had any problems with feet slipping off the pedals: I don't have any foot pain issues for my max four hour rides; I only occasionally go on any ride that doesn't include stops or walking; I do not like the daft look and sound of cyclists waddling and click-clacking on hard floors; I am too mean to lash out on expensive shoes and pedals; I do not race against other people so gaining perhaps a minute or two over a long ride is neither here nor there.

Top Bottom