Rat traps, toe clips, toe cages....!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member

There you go, I have only bought 3 pairs of cycling shoes in the last 30 years.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I was an early convert to SPD off road; 1991 or 1992 I think. On the road, Time recently but I have a new pair of shoes and some Speedplay pedals to try in the Summer.

I do have one bike with clips and straps. I use it on the rare occasion I get out for a ride since a Mercedes took out my usual Winter bike. My old MTB is set up as a general bike/tourer. It has the original Saracen toe clips fitted to the original 1990 XT II pedals which are as smooth as ever.

I wear hiking trainers which have an aggressive tread pattern that engages the pedal lip quite well. I then tighten the straps up maybe 75%.

I was just thinking on my last ride that flipping the clip around using the little tooth thing on the pedal before engaging the clip is a skill that I haven't lost over the years!

I just don't feel safe (especially off-road) if I'm not attached to the pedals.

byegad

Legendary Member
I used toe clips, either on their own or with a strap for all my uprights. In 2005 I bought my first recumbent and used SPDs, in 2008 I went totally recumbent, so am now using Crank Brothers version of SPDs on both trikes.

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
And me, a hundred quid is a substantial sum,
Agree. Even though I and the GLW are both working, £100 is still a fair wedge. It's very much what your particular view on value is. Never pay full price for something if it or an equivalent is available at a lower cost. For example, why pay £1.29 / litre for petrol when it's available for £1.16 / litre two miles along the road, but folk do. :whistle:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you shop around there are always decent quality shoes on sale for under £40. The only requirement for a shoe is that it fits and feels comfortable, the same goes for pedals. It only gets expensive if you want to save a few grams or you must have the latest bling.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I thought they were essential until about 2003... without toe-clips my feet would slip off the pedal. Then i bought some flat pedals because i liked the colour, and fully intended to fettle the toe clips onto them... but my feet never slipped on the flat pedals and i really liked not having to do the little flicky thing that had become second nature... so no, toe-clips are a thing of the past. The flats are here to stay.

I think I may have 3 pairs, 2 metal and 1 plastic on my Granada. The thing I find good about them is that you don't need any special shoes to use them which could otherwise be spent on bikes.
I find the plastic ones are a real pain to use as when you put your foot on the pedal if you get it wrong the toe clip flattens and you have to reach down to open it up again. :angry:
I don't like them on the cycling machine as I forgot that it doesn't have a freewheel once and was almost launched over the handlebars! :angry:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I have the plastic ones on my old steel hybrid, but I have them so that they grip my foot when fully in, but it can easily be withdrawn. I toyed with another pair of SL pedals, but the bike would just look weird with them. Which left SPDs, but that would mean buying another pair of cycling shoes. As I already have trainers which fit the pedals, I don't see the point.

Top Bottom