Rat traps, toe clips, toe cages....!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I don't like the idea of either toeclips or cleats, I reckon they make accidents more likely to occur in the first place and more serious when they occur, than using flat pedals. I've only ever used toeclips once, set very loose and wearing normal footwear. That was on a Dawes Galaxy set up for touring that I was having a go on and the bike itself was lovely - but the toeclips weren't! Wasn't impressed at all by them.
I've witnessed several "offs" in London traffic where the cyclist was cleated and remained attached so they went down in a heap mixed up with the bike, whereas if they'd have been riding on flats they might have been able to bail out or get their feet down and avoid coming off at all. Unless you are racing hell for leather I see no advantage in mechanical attachment to the bike. For general recreational and utility cycling, being able to keep your feet on the pedals is simply a non-issue.

I'm the other way, I don't feel comfortable unless I'm clipped in/strapped in. I used clips and straps for over thirty years, initially on the club rides with cleats, when I couldn't get the cleats any more with out them, I commuted in steel toe capped boots and would straighten the clip and rebend it to fit the boots. These days I use SPD's and use the click R light release ones.

simongt

Guru
Used straps & clips way back, but always had trouble getting my left foot back in after a stop. Tried again many years later when I returned to cycling but again, same problem. Thus I was persuaded by an LBS to try Shimano M515 spds. Never looked back. For me, just the job. :thumbsup: Never been stuck in during the occasional fall; including when I was rear ended last year with three months off work.

I'm the other way, I don't feel comfortable unless I'm clipped in/strapped in. I used clips and straps for over thirty years, initially on the club rides with cleats, when I couldn't get the cleats any more with out them, I commuted in steel toe capped boots and would straighten the clip and rebend it to fit the boots. These days I use SPD's and use the click R light release ones.

I had a nasty fall a few years back when I came off my bike, automatically put my leg out to try to stop the fall, and tore two ligaments in my knee. If I had been clipped I may not have put my foot out and would probably have just had bruises, so that could be one advantage to them.

Katherine

Guru
When I used toe clips I had them on a loose setting so they were easy to use in traffic, but still stopped my feet sliding off especially on hills or excelerating away from junctions.
I only switched to cleats last March and would still prefer toe clips to nothing.
I still have toe clips on my touring bike but thinking of putting double sided pedals on instead with the ability to attach toe clips on a temporary basis.

C R

Guru
Used straps & clips way back, but always had trouble getting my left foot back in after a stop. Tried again many years later when I returned to cycling but again, same problem. Thus I was persuaded by an LBS to try Shimano M515 spds. Never looked back. For me, just the job. :thumbsup: Never been stuck in during the occasional fall; including when I was rear ended last year with three months off work.

I might be persuaded to try cleats if the initial outlay wasn't so high, you need new shoes and new pedals, and then you are stuck with them if they don't work for you.

D

Deleted member 1258

I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of members on here have spent more on just a pair of cycling shoes than I have spent buying and fixing up a whole bike!

My new shoes were £55, I'd had the old ones over 10 years, I think the old ones were about £45.

simongt

Guru
lot of members on here have spent more on just a pair of cycling shoes than I have spent buying and fixing up a whole bike!
Much the same I suspect with fancy cycling glasses. I use safety glasses at around £5 - 7 a pop. Available in clear, yellow, dark, mirror etc. just as stylish :becool: and a LOT cheaper than a pair of Oakleys - ! :rofl:

Katherine

Guru
I might be persuaded to try cleats if the initial outlay wasn't so high, you need new shoes and new pedals, and then you are stuck with them if they don't work for you.
If you get mtb style then you you can wear the shoes without the clips attached.
I wore my winter boots last winter like that, on half clip pedals (rubber toe clips without the straps )

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of members on here have spent more on just a pair of cycling shoes than I have spent buying and fixing up a whole bike!
£29 shoes, £17 Exutar road pedals and cleats. I'd never ride without my feet secured to the pedals, whether it is with clipless or clips and straps and never had a problem with either. If you come off you are safer with your feet still in the pedals and your hands gripping the bars. Extended limbs break, limbs tucked in bruise.

Each to their own, however.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I have the half toe clips on all my bikes including mtb.

My main reasons are: I have never had any problems with feet slipping off the pedals: I don't have any foot pain issues for my max four hour rides; I only occasionally go on any ride that doesn't include stops or walking; I do not like the daft look and sound of cyclists waddling and click-clacking on hard floors; I am too mean to lash out on expensive shoes and pedals; I do not race against other people so gaining perhaps a minute or two over a long ride is neither here nor there.

All of this ^^ ^_^

tyred

Legendary Member
I have clips and straps on both my fixed wheelers and also on a Peugeot road bike I have but don't ride that often. I just use ordinary pedals on all my other freewheel equipped bikes. I've never found a problem with feet slipping off the pedals and I like the freedom of using any shoe I feel like.

Each to their own but as I am riding non-competitively, I don't see much point in fitting cleats.

Top Bottom