Rat traps, toe clips, toe cages....!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use platform pedals with metal toe clips on my tourer. I used to use them on the commuter but switched to flats.
I never use cleats and don't see the point. I keep the straps fairly loose so my foot goes is and out easily. Unlike cleats or spd, loose clips will not result in toppling over at a stop, ever.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I use platform pedals with metal toe clips on my tourer. I used to use them on the commuter but switched to flats.
I never use cleats and don't see the point. I keep the straps fairly loose so my foot goes is and out easily. Unlike cleats or spd, loose clips will not result in toppling over at a stop, ever.
Neither will cleats if you understand how they work. People have clipless moments because they try and pull the foot upwards as they attempt to release - the very thing the mechanism is designed to prevent happening. Learn to flick your foot sideways only and they are a doddle to use.

Neither will cleats if you understand how they work. People have clipless moments because they try and pull the foot upwards as they attempt to release - the very thing the mechanism is designed to prevent happening. Learn to flick your foot sideways only and they are a doddle to use.

Yet even experienced riders have clipless moments when thrir brain is otherwise engaged.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I used to use clips and shoe-plates: once the straps were tightened your feet would not come out. They did require a little forethought, especially on fixed-wheel, and a reach down to thumb open the strap.

I converted to clipless in the early 90s and find release is completely intuitive.

The old Brompton still has flat pedals. I don't mind for shortish journeys.

I sometimes find myself twisting my heel out when coming to a stop on my Brompton. Which has flat pedals.:wacko:

The last significant "off" I had, I skidded on wet leaves on a steep downhill. I ended up sliding down the road on my backside a short distance behind my bike. While I was busy losing control and my brain was otherwise engaged, my feet had taken matters into their own hands and disengaged from the pedals.

A few years back I had a minor collision between my front wheel and Elder Son's rear wheel, which flipped the Xtracycle over. To my surprise I landed on my feet, so somehow the message to disengage with my cages had gone through in double quick time...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a collection of pedals, two of my older bikes have toe clips, two have SPD's, and two have flats. Pedals that is. I do interchange some of them around from time to time.

biking_fox

Guru
Toe clips loose straps just enough to stop you sliding sideways on wet pedals. . If only because nearly all of my riding is urban commuting and I CBA to fit/learn clipless for every set of lights. I can hear the risers behind me still trying to clip in as we start to brake for the next red.

Top Bottom