Ready to go tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dead_storm

Regular
Hi I’m looking to start using tubeless wheels as been seeing they better then tubes my rim and tyres are ready for tubeless my wheel rim is 23mm so am I thinking I need to find tape around 23-25mm wide I’ve seen people use gorilla tape is this something what can be used thank you

Sorry if this is in the wrong place

PpPete

Legendary Member
TESA 4289 tape is ideal for Tubeless. Available on Amazon, Ebay & the like, and much lower cost than bike brand versions.

Width - you dont say where your 23mm is measured on your rims.
FWIW I've used 21 mm wide tape on H+ Son Archetype which are 23mm external and on Kinlin XR-26RTS which are 24mm external/19mm internal .

You just need to cover the rim bed and a little way up the sides.
Before applying the tape I suggest cleaning the rim bed very thoroughly with Isopropyl alcohol to remove any greasy finger marks

OP
OP
D

dead_storm

Regular
Hi sorry my rim is 23m - 24m full length loads of people and Muc off have said I need a 23-25mm tape but I thought I would ask in here because would not the 23-25mm hang over or would they be saying that because of the little dip in the wheel when putting the tape on

Attachments

• EC0AB669-4E09-4F7A-A35A-31E0FC93DE30.jpeg
    EC0AB669-4E09-4F7A-A35A-31E0FC93DE30.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 8

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I know so many people, myself included, who have tried tubeless and gone back to tubes. I rode tubeless for 2 years and so have some experience of them. The number of punctures were the same as tubes. They were not any faster. Tubeless needed topping up more than tubes. Tubes are far easier to fix at the side of the road. This is just my personal opinion of riding about 12000km a year over all terrain. But tubeless is not gods gift to cycling.

OP
OP
D

dead_storm

Regular
I know so many people, myself included, who have tried tubeless and gone back to tubes. I rode tubeless for 2 years and so have some experience of them. The number of punctures were the same as tubes. They were not any faster. Tubeless needed topping up more than tubes. Tubes are far easier to fix at the side of the road. This is just my personal opinion of riding about 12000km a year over all terrain. But tubeless is not gods gift to cycling.
thank you for your opinion I was only going to go tubeless because loads of people said it’s best when u get a little puncture it will fix it self but with a inner tube you have to replace your tube I’ve been doing that for many year now and thought tubeless would make life easier

Venod

Eh up
+1 for TESA 4289 tape, its much better than Gorrila tape, Gorrila tape woks but is terrible stuff to remove, make sure the tape is right across from inner wall to wall a bit up the sides is OK but it's not a must.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Use purpose made tubeless rim tape as advised above. Ensure rim is super clean beforehand. Probably there is a GCN or Park Tools video or some such on youtube to watch beforehand.

Hi I’m looking to start using tubeless wheels as been seeing they better then tubes my rim and tyres are ready for tubeless my wheel rim is 23mm so am I thinking I need to find tape around 23-25mm wide I’ve seen people use gorilla tape is this something what can be used thank you

Sorry if this is in the wrong place

As a rule of thumb, to pick the right width of your tubeless rim tape, you need to measure the internal width of your rim. Any tape that is that number plus or minus 1mm is good; so, in your case, 22-24mm wide would work (provided the number you gave is the internal width).

I've seen Youtube videos where people use gorilla tape, so I guess it works but I've never tried it myself.

I've tried muc-off but didn't like it, I didn't find it very sticky. I'm using stan's no tubes at the moment.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Airtight, sticky on one side, thin and bit of stretch is what you want. I’ve had good results with Stans yellow tape or Mavic clear tape. Remember that the tape needs to go round the rim twice when deciding how much to get. You want to push the tape into the rim bed, as that is designed to be used to make getting tubeless tyres on easier. Smooth the tape out with your fingers, you don’t want any bubbles.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another Tesa tape convert here. I switched from branded tape to gorilla due to cost and then after being annoyed with removing it switched to Tesa 4289 and won't be using anything else.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Top tip. Don't go fitting tubeless, gunk and air in the house or anywhere where cleaning up is difficult. If the tyre pops off you'll get gunk everywhere and you may be in the dog house permanently. :laugh:

alchurch

TESA 4289 tape is ideal for Tubeless. Available on Amazon, Ebay & the like, and much lower cost than bike brand versions.

Width - you dont say where your 23mm is measured on your rims.
FWIW I've used 21 mm wide tape on H+ Son Archetype which are 23mm external and on Kinlin XR-26RTS which are 24mm external/19mm internal .

You just need to cover the rim bed and a little way up the sides.
Before applying the tape I suggest cleaning the rim bed very thoroughly with Isopropyl alcohol to remove any greasy finger marks
I use tubeless on the same rims PpPete

Top Bottom