Ready to start!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Lets not get into this indoor not counting as miles equivalent. If the wheels turned and the sensors recorded said distance, they pedalled for 7.5 miles:okay:

Edit I did a Zwift race last night, it was 15.6 miles in length:biggrin:

nickAKA

Über Member
I bought myself an indoor smart trainer for training. Best thing I’ve done so far!
Just cycled 7 and a half miles in 45 mins!! 😆

When I kicked off on zwift I was doing about 4 hours a week over winter and getting out when I could. The target was the Manchester to Blackpool ride (& back) in the July which is about 130 miles... I was fit as a butchers dog by the time of the ride, no problems whatsoever with the trip. Keep going, if you can manage 4+ hours a week you'll smash it :okay:

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

When I kicked off on zwift I was doing about 4 hours a week over winter and getting out when I could. The target was the Manchester to Blackpool ride (& back) in the July which is about 130 miles... I was fit as a butchers dog by the time of the ride, no problems whatsoever with the trip. Keep going, if you can manage 4+ hours a week you'll smash it :okay:

Cheers nick!

:smile:

13 rider

Guru
Smart trainers are incredibly useful for getting fit and wether the miles count or not dosnt matter . Don't neglect outside riding when you can to improve bike handling and get use to the position on the bike which will be different outside ie having to use the brakes
Good luck with the training

CXRAndy

Guru
Things only indoor cyclists say.

Knew it.
Ive had a steady start for this year 606 miles or for the pedants 34hrs of indoor training:laugh:

boydj

Legendary Member
I can't do long sessions on the turbo - it's just too boring, so an absolute max is an hour and most sessions are 45 minutes or less (usually less). To make up for this I will do fairly hard intervals to get the most out of the sessions. Hopefully this will maintain a semblance of fitness while we're waiting for the wind, rain, hail and snow to disappear. Can't even get some golf in to break the monotony as the course is covered in snow.

CXRAndy

Guru
I can't do long sessions on the turbo - it's just too boring, so an absolute max is an hour and most sessions are 45 minutes or less (usually less). To make up for this I will do fairly hard intervals to get the most out of the sessions. Hopefully this will maintain a semblance of fitness while we're waiting for the wind, rain, hail and snow to disappear. Can't even get some golf in to break the monotony as the course is covered in snow.

Are you using a simulator like Zwift?

DRM

Guru
Things only indoor cyclists say.

Knew it.
Cobblers, try doing one of the Many training sessions on Zwift , it is genuinely hard work, on a smart trainer when it wants you doing 350 watts for 10 minutes that’s exactly what you do, there is no freewheeling, no resting, it is hard & you know you’ve put the work in afterwards, so you might not have physically moved but you have certainly pedalled the distance.

Kryton521

Über Member
I managed to give up my wnery bar obsession. Hard work but so much the better for it!

For the first few weeks? As others have said, keep it short and build up. I'd say grab a pot of chamois cream, I particularly like the Muc-Off one. Really can take the sting out of the tail! 😊

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm more worried about the temptation to get off. If you plan on a 50 mile ride, when you are 25 miles from home, there is no doubt that you will ride 50 miles. If you plan a 3hr ride, and after 3 hrs you are still 10 miles from home, you still have to complete the distance, come what may. If you are on a turbo, there is just too much temptation to get off at any point. If you really motivate yourself, you can set a time, but the instant the time is reached, I would be off.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Cobblers, try doing one of the Many training sessions on Zwift , it is genuinely hard work, on a smart trainer when it wants you doing 350 watts for 10 minutes that’s exactly what you do, there is no freewheeling, no resting, it is hard & you know you’ve put the work in afterwards, so you might not have physically moved but you have certainly pedalled the distance.
Nobody is saying it is easy or physically undemanding, just that it doesn't count towards any real world mileage totals, either weekly, monthly or annual. It is still a worthwhile means of exercise and training for those that can't get out to ride or don't want to due to poor weather. I Aldi accept it could be even more effective than outdoors cycling for someone on an intensive structured training program that needs to target specific areas of their fitness.

Top Bottom