Real time ethical dilemma.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Interesting set of responses.

Note, my OP did not ask what we should do or for comment on our choice, which I carefully did not disclose.

I asked what you would do.

I learned about the change on a neighbour's doorstep while Boris was still speaking. The decision was immediate - we must cancel. Never a real thought about bending the rules.

We booked in July via Trailfinders - we planned the itinerary and hotels and commissioned Trailfinders to do the bookings. We did not take out their Covid secure Insurance as our First Direct bank account policy has good Covid cover. But we knew of Trailfinder's Peace of Mind policy (https://www.trailfinders.com/faqs/what-is-trailfinders-peace-of-mind-policy)

I phoned this morning to cancel.

As per their stated policy, I will receive a full refund to my CC within 14 days without any need to involve any insurance company or any further action on my part

I will make a small claim on my Policy for canceled pre-flight airport hotel, seat upgrades and if possible the £400 we paid yesterday for private PCR tests.

I strongly recommend Trailfinders.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
@PK99 had no choice. The covid bounty hunters confronted them on their doorstep and encased them in carbonite

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Turns out you wouldn't have been able to go anyway in the end, unless you'd got a cunning disguise to dupe getting into spain as a resident/citizen. Here's to PK99 :cheers: sat at home, better than being stuck in the hotel, in Spain, in a Lorry in Kent and all manner of other things that have befallen others :sad:.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Interesting set of responses.

Note, my OP did not ask what we should do or for comment on our choice, which I carefully did not disclose.

I asked what you would do.

I learned about the change on a neighbour's doorstep while Boris was still speaking. The decision was immediate - we must cancel. Never a real thought about bending the rules.

We booked in July via Trailfinders - we planned the itinerary and hotels and commissioned Trailfinders to do the bookings. We did not take out their Covid secure Insurance as our First Direct bank account policy has good Covid cover. But we knew of Trailfinder's Peace of Mind policy (https://www.trailfinders.com/faqs/what-is-trailfinders-peace-of-mind-policy)

I phoned this morning to cancel.

As per their stated policy, I will receive a full refund to my CC within 14 days without any need to involve any insurance company or any further action on my part

I will make a small claim on my Policy for canceled pre-flight airport hotel, seat upgrades and if possible the £400 we paid yesterday for private PCR tests.

I strongly recommend Trailfinders.

I am so sorry.

Don’t look for spurious loopholes. The correct option is to cancel, which I expect you have done.
Can someone educate stupid me about this apparent loophole he thinks he's discovered? I stress that I'm not planning to jump through it. The answer to this non dilemma for the chattering classes is clear to me - stay put.

D

Deleted member 26715

Shame some others didn't heed our advice, the outbreak of the new varient in Switzerland has been traced back to 2 British holiday makers skiing there. The French outbreak has been traced to 3 French citizens returning from a holiday in Britain. What is wrong with these people?

Stephenite

Membå
Shame some others didn't heed our advice, the outbreak of the new varient in Switzerland has been traced back to 2 British holiday makers skiing there. The French outbreak has been traced to 3 French citizens returning from a holiday in Britain. What is wrong with these people?
IMO the system is at fault. These people should not be allowed/able to travel.

...but then you'd get the right-whingers complaining about the rights of the individual to screw things up for everyone for ever, etc.

D

Deleted member 26715

Work colleague lives on an island just off mainland Philippines, they have to have travel permits to leave the island & the military are posted at every port, harbour or jetty, just looking at their numbers, double the population of the UK, yet the UK has had 6x more cases & 7x more deaths. Our restrictions are not tough enough & the sanctions too soft.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Work colleague lives on an island just off mainland Philippines, they have to have travel permits to leave the island & the military are posted at every port, harbour or jetty, just looking at their numbers, double the population of the UK, yet the UK has had 6x more cases & 7x more deaths. Our restrictions are not tough enough & the sanctions too soft.

The Philippines has an armed national police force organised along military lines

Would the UK accept the sort of restrictions you cite? We have policing by consent and an unarmed non-military police force and rank high on international civil liberties rankings, the Philippines has a lowly ranking.

the imposition of the restrictions you seem to favour would simply be impossible here without putting troops on the streets

D

Deleted member 26715

The Philippines has an armed national police force organised along military lines

Would the UK accept the sort of restrictions you cite? We have policing by consent and an unarmed non-military police force and rank high on international civil liberties rankings, the Philippines has a lowly ranking.

the imposition of the restrictions you seem to favour would simply be impossible here without putting troops on the streets
You say that like its a bad thing?

Top Bottom