Real time ethical dilemma.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

The consensus seems to be that the curtailing of civil liberties is a bad thing.

The Philippines operates by Presidential Decree.
Over the last 9 months there is an element of the UK population that have proved they cannot be trusted to do what is right for the good of the nation, therefore its about time we considered other options

That is the point in democracy. The People vote for the best person and group of people and they get a few years to prove they can do what they said - while being held to account

It kinda depends on the elected people being honourable and understanding - and sticking to - all their responsibilities

Works OK until you elect the wrong person - or the accountability fails

several examples come to mind - one in particular in current times
history can supply others

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Human beings are too easily swayed with shiny political speeches and work on the 'I'm all Jack' principle. If people genuinely gave a crap about others and their environment local and wider we would be in a better place. While we keep listening to privileged twats who will be fine no matter what happens things won't change.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Over the last 9 months there is an element of the UK population that have proved they cannot be trusted to do what is right for the good of the nation, therefore its about time we considered other options

Are you implying that the normal conventions of democracy and civil rights in the UK should be suspended?

D

Deleted member 26715

Are you implying that the normal conventions of democracy and civil rights in the UK should be suspended?
The "people" elected Boris & his crew, if they decide there should be a travel ban & tighter controls of movement, including enforcement by the military as it clear the constabulary cannot cope then how is that a suspension of democracy, granted some civil rights might be curtailed for a period of time?

Some people think they are more equal than others.
I don't think I am i know i am!! As I sit in my cabin in Herefordshire which for very short period of time was in tier1. Now I will have to buy a meal tomorrow when I go the pub....for a miserable 2 hours. Although I am assuming that pubs enforces that.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Curtailing civil liberties is necessary to protect the public welfare. The general public is clearly not intelligent enough to think for themselves. That is certainly the case in the US. I suppose in other areas of the world as well.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom