Really cold 20 mins after stopping - any ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thought someone might shed some insight into why I get so cold after I've stopped cycling. I don't just mean a bit cold, I mean 'absolutely perishing, need every bit of available clothing and a blanket' cold:sad:
I've done a bit of interweb trawling and it's not uncommon, but there don't seem to be any sensible or related reasons. I don't think it's a running on empty thing as the tea and cake at half time should put a stop to that... or the occasional pub lunch :biggrin:, but I can't figure out what is going on.
Do any of you clever people have an answer?? :scratch:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
OK your hot so body produces sweat, when you stop you get hotter as there is no air passing over your body so you sweat even more which in turn makes you feel colder, I really haven't got a clue other than that

Globalti

Legendary Member
There is a sensible and related reason - quite simply your clothes are damp with sweat, which is doing what it's supposed to do and cooling you down very efficiently. You will be low on energy and chilled so your body will shut down the blood supply to your peripheries in order to preserve core blood temperature for your brain. Have you tried changing into dry clothing as soon as you stop? Better still, having a quick shower then changing into dry clothing?

Note: necking a glass of whisky is a bad idea in these circumstances because alcohol is a vaso-dilator and will open up surface blood vessels sending a flood of cold blood into your core, which can shock you to death. This was realised when seven trawlermen were hauled out of the North Sea and given a tot by the lifeboat crew and all seven promptly dropped dead on the deck.

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
There is a sensible and related reason - quite simply your clothes are damp with sweat, which is doing what it's supposed to do and cooling you down very efficiently. You will be low on energy and chilled so your body will shut down the blood supply to your peripheries in order to preserve core blood temperature for your brain. Have you tried changing into dry clothing as soon as you stop? Better still, having a quick shower then changing into dry clothing?

Note: necking a glass of whisky is a bad idea in these circumstances because alcohol is a vaso-dilator and will open up surface blood vessels sending a flood of cold blood into your core, which can shock you to death. This was realised when seven trawlermen were hauled out of the North Sea and given a tot by the lifeboat crew and all seven promptly dropped dead on the deck.
I hear what you're saying, but the cycling top dries in a couple of minutes, and I always put an extra layer on the minute I stop in an attempt not to cool down so quickly. It's only on the longer trips, not on the shorter ones. ie, long ones tend to be 'proper' and the short ones tend to be the pub run :blush:
And if I'm on a bigger ride and we stop at a pub for lunch, then no I won't have a pint (or a whisky for that matter) as, apart from anything else, I don't fancy it at that point :cheers:.
I shall be trying the 'jump straight into the shower' method tonight after we cycle back from work.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That top may feel dry but I bet it's still damp - that's the whole point of wearing polyester or polypropylene rather than cotton, which feels clammy against the skin. No amount of insulation will prevent a damp top from chilling you down.

DWiggy

Über Member
Damp clothing, after a long ride my clothes feel dry but are actually quite damp/wet, best to get out of them quickly when finished riding, also its still not exactly hot out there so if you stop with sweaty clothing on you will feel the cold.
Just a note are you in full cycling gear as cotton clothing really soaks up and hold onto sweat which will make you really cold?

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
That top may feel dry but I bet it's still damp - that's the whole point of wearing polyester or polypropylene rather than cotton, which feels clammy against the skin. No amount of insulation will prevent a damp top from chilling you down.
I know. I found out the hard way some time ago about damp cotton. I now have a proper top :thumbsup: make that several ^_^ and bottoms. Much cycling 'stuff' in fact :biggrin:

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
Damp clothing, after a long ride my clothes feel dry but are actually quite damp/wet, best to get out of them quickly when finished riding, also its still not exactly hot out there so if you stop with sweaty clothing on you will feel the cold.
Just a note are you in full cycling gear as cotton clothing really soaks up and hold onto sweat which will make you really cold?
Yep, full cycling gear :thumbsup:

Stephen brown

Sorry to hijack your thread, I too suffer with this after I have showered and changed into fresh clothes, sometimes I really shiver as I get so cold regardless of temperature, I thought it was just me

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
Sorry to hijack your thread, I too suffer with this after I have showered and changed into fresh clothes, sometimes I really shiver as I get so cold regardless of temperature, I thought it was just me
Glad to see it isn't just me :hugs: . Thought I was just really old, unfit and nesh! Just got in from cycle home from work, straight into shower and clean clothes and currently snuggled up under a fleecy blanket. Highly recommended!

buggi

Bird Saviour
same here. About half hour after cycling i get the shivers, even in the summer. Being a girl i don't sweat excessively (i hope not anyway! LOL), so i dont think its that, and it happens even when i've changed my clothes. It's way worse in the winter, sometimes i'm cold all day at work if i haven't stayed in a hot shower long enough. trying to explain to my landlord why i needed a timer switch on the hot water (so i could have a bath immediately i came home) was fun! she looked at me like i was off my rocker.

there is no known medical cure (well, i don't think there is) but i do know that a really hot shower or bath (the latter preferably) and really hot beans on toast definitely helps.

i personally think its caused by hot muscles cooling down too quickly.

Top Bottom