Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
They, Pizza Hut, once delivered a pizza to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro

In an incredible PR stunt, Pizza Hut delivery men hiked six hours to bring a pie to the highest point in Africa — the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, reported CNN.

They set a record for the highest-altitude pizza delivery on earth.
Point of order. It's not a pie. It's a pizza. This is why you should never cut and paste verbatim from the interwebs.

Pie:
pie.jpg
Pizza:
pizza.jpg

The difference should be blindingly obvious.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Corona as in Corona virus comes from the crown like structures it has

PaulB

Legendary Member
I was aware of that. I am developing puzzle game apps in which good colour vision would have been needed. I have added extra detail to make it possible for people with poor colour vision to play.

There is a useful colour blindness simulator HERE.

Another interesting factoid is that accessibility software can make it possible for blind people to work with GUIs like Windows.

Many years ago a blind person came to our company to explain what changes we needed to make to our software in order for operators like her to be able to use it. She used a screen reader program to read text off the screen to her. We added a status bar into which we fed important information - 'Warning - reactor #2 cooling system failure', 'Reactor #2 core temperature exceeding safe limits', 'Leave Ukraine NOW!!!' - that kind of thing... :okay:
I was diagnosed with colour-blindness. It came like a bolt from the green.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Vindaloo originated from Portuguese sailors, carne de vinha d'alhos ("meat in garlic wine marinade"). The basic structure of the dish was "preserved" raw ingredients, packed in wooden barrels of layers of pork & garlic, soaked in red wine. This was "Indianized" by the local Goan cooks.

classic33

Leg End Member
Founded on September 23, 1889, by Fusajiro Yamauchi, Nintendo originally produced handmade hanafuda playing cards. By 1963, the company had tried several small niche businesses, such as cab services and love hotels.

The word Nintendo can be roughly translated from Japanese to English as "leave luck to heaven".

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Until 1994 there were no "Road"s in the City of London, and now there's only one, Goswell Road, which became part of the Square Mile in 1994 after boundary changes. There are plenty of Lanes, Streets, and Ways, but public paths weren't generally referred to as roads until the 16th century.

Technically speaking there is only half a road, as the boundary between City and Islington runs down the middle. Another fun fact the population of the City of London is only about 8,000. Whilst I am on a mapping roll, there is only one named two way street in the country on which you legally drive on the right, Savoy Court.

classic33

Leg End Member
Uranus was first discovered on a Tuesday by William Herschel on the 13th March 1781.

PaulB

Legendary Member
You know the width of an athletic running track? Well that's based on the distance between my elbow and my tip of my middle finger with two Twix bars end-to-end added on. Not many people know that.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
You know the width of an athletic running track? Well that's based on the distance between my elbow and my tip of my middle finger with two Twix bars end-to-end added on. Not many people know that.
Not something to be Snickered at

classic33

Leg End Member
The fear of premature burial, the "deceased" being in a coma for instance, not actually dead, led to many devices being patented to allow the "deceased" to alert those above ground to their plight.

One of the most simple of these was a cord attached to the persons finger. The cord leading to a bell on the surface, which would ring when the cord was pulled. The "deceased" became the dead ringer whilst the person watching for any activity would be working the graveyard shift. Their job was to get the "deceased" coffin dodger, for whom the bell tolled, to the surface, having been saved by the bell, and to a physician.

classic33

Leg End Member
Roller coasters were invented to distract Americans from sin

In the 1880s, hosiery businessman LaMarcus Thompson hated that Americans were tempted by hedonistic places like saloons and brothels.

So he set out to straighten up one of the most immoral places he could think of: Coney Island in New York. There, he built America’s first roller coaster to give New Yorkers some good, clean fun—away from seedier pastimes.

classic33

Leg End Member
On this date in 1969, Dr. Denton Cooley implanted the first temporary artificial heart into a human.

The artificial heart sustained the patient for 64 hours, but he died 32 hours after he received a donor heart.

Top Bottom