Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have a memory i may have come across him in another book/doc. Did he perhaps in addition to his undoubted guts maybe have some dodgy opinions?

Dave7

Legendary Member
It is a fact that very hot water can freeze quicker than cool water.
It was discovered (i think) in the 1980s.
After many 1000s of experiments they still haven't worked out why as it doesn't happen every time and there are so many variables.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Its Not Unusual..... the record by Tom Jones was originally banned by the BBC as his "moves" were too erotic.
The record Lola by the Kinks was about a guy meeting a transvestite and then realising. It was also banned because.....
It had the words Cherry Cola which was considered to be advertising.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Its Not Unusual..... the record by Tom Jones was originally banned by the BBC as his "moves" were too erotic.
The record Lola by the Kinks was about a guy meeting a transvestite and then realising. It was also banned because.....
It had the words Cherry Cola which was considered to be advertising.
I thought it was Coca Cola
changed to cherry cola by Ray Davies after the beeb objected to the original?

I'm not sure this falls in to being a 'factoid', but I found it interesting, and didn't know until I just read it.

In 1968, Allen's father, Frank, was shot dead on his front lawn by a cab driver. Nobody knows why Frank was murdered or what his connection was to the killer. In 1975, Allen's sister, Karen, was at a Red Lobster parking lot when she witnessed an attempted robbery. Because the thieves were worried that she could identify them, they slit her throat. But the tragedy didn’t stop there. his two half-brothers were killed in a freak scuba accident five years later. That means that Allen lost four family members in three different incidents over 12 years. But it gets worse. His best friend, David Angell, was killed during 9/11. Then in 2009, his friend of 40 years, was murdered by his wife. He didn’t have many people to turn to when he was dealing with these tragedies since two of his wives were incredibly physically abusive.
But there was one thing that Allen could find happiness in – acting. Under the stage name, Kelsey Grammer, he became immortalised as the character, Dr. Frasier Crane, in Cheers and Frasier. The show, Frasier, won 37 Emmys; more than any other show in history.

classic33

Leg End Member
16th August 1858
Queen Victoria sends President James Buchanan the first trans-Atlantic telegraph, providing “an additional link between the nations whose friendship is founded on their common interest and reciprocal esteem”.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The biggest causes of premature death in Britain are lung cancer due to smoking tobacco and obesity due to consuming refined sugar. Neither of these products would have been widely available in Britain today if it hadn't been for the transatlantic slave trade.

Last edited:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
During prohibition malts from Islay were about the only alcohol you could legally buy in USA, thanks to their high iodine content they were sold as medicine in drugstores

Top Bottom