Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I saw the mechanical shark they used at Universal Studios.

It was a hilariously crap shark in real life.
Yes, I've done that tour as well. But back in pre-CGI 1975...it scared everyone sh**less:okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
In the movie Jaws (spoilers if you haven't seen it!!):

1. The mechanical shark was nicknamed Bruce & built by the SFX guru who did the giant squid in 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.
2. Robert Shaw wrote some of the famous 'USS Indianapolis' speech.
3. The famous jump-scare shot of the severed head was filmed in a backyard swimming pool.
4. The stunt woman eaten at the start had to be pulled sideways by technicians with ropes & finally dragged under by...Steven Spielberg.
I do not believe any of that.
I saw the film 3 times and it was all real.

captain nemo1701

It’s best when you don’t actually see it.
Spielberg knew it looked rubbish which is why you don’t see all of it very often.
Just a fin here and there.

The Making of Jaws is on YT somewhere and is fascinating. They wanted to show the shark in it's entirety from the first shot but it kept breaking down. So due to technical failure, Spielberg was forced to keep it hidden most of the movie. Thus, the film became more tense & scary as the unseen is often more terrifying than the seen.

captain nemo1701

Actor William Daniels supplied the voice of KITT in 90 episodes of Knight Rider but took no on screen credit assuming nobody would know who he is and thus wouldn't recognise him. However, he said that once he speaks though....:okay:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
One of the Argentinian pilots in the Falklands war also served in WWII flying for the RAF.
He had joint UK / Argentinian citizenship and was living in Argentina when war broke out. He mainly flew cargo transports due to his age.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A single ant can live for 15 years.

No information on the married ones though.
Thats nothing.
My aunt is 95 ^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Hans Heyer had a rather dismal foray into Formula 1.

Driving for Germany's team ATS, he entered the 1977 Grand Prix at Hockenheim. But his speed was in touring cars, and wasn’t fully up to speed yet in open wheelers. So when qualifying was done, Heyer didn’t make the cut for the race. That didn’t stop him though. He decided to start the race anyway, retired after nine laps and was subsequently disqualified.

He is the only driver in F1 to hold a DNS, DNF and DSQ for the same race.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The 4.6 billion streams of "Despacito" used as much electricity as the combined annual electricity consumption of Chad, Guinea-Bissau, Somalia, Sierra Leone and the Central African Republic.

Top Bottom