Rear Derailleur Cage Lengths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Is the difference between a long cage and a short cage just the cage length? I have a short cage Ultegra mech, if I want the capacity to run a 32T sprocket can I simply fit only the cage element of a long cage Sora for example?

The difference within groups is just the cage length.
However, whether one from another group will fit, is another question. You will have to examine the mechanism.
I doubt Sora and Ultegra will be so similar that you can do a transplant.

Ajax Bay

Guru
make sure the new derailleur is the same manufacturer, age and speed as the old one but with a longer cage.
If these criteria are met it might be easier just to fit the RD with the longer cage :smile:. What the OP seeks to do is to use the long cage from a cheaper RD to 'longrade' his Ultegra model.

Kajjal

Guru
If these criteria are met it might be easier just to fit the RD with the longer cage :smile:. What the OP seeks to do is to use the long cage from a cheaper RD to 'longrade' his Ultegra model.

Its just about reducing the risk, no point trying to save money and ending up having to buy the correct part anyway.

davidphilips

Veteran
Have a try if you have some derailleurs if does not work out at least you will have had a go, you can always reassemble derailleurs and with a bit of a clean and lube they should work as good if not better than before.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KWFhzIPoc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYgRJOg4e5w

Last edited:
Now Hang on a Minuit there if cages can be swooped? ( that spelling doesn't look right) and I seem to think they can as after all someone assembled it. I could have done that with my tiagra RD and turned it in to a GS (medium cage) Though am doubtful that Buying the parts for the Tiagra 4400 would not be possible as probably obsolete now and only available as an old S/H one if you could source one, so I probably did the right thing anyway buying a Sora GS new.
Though it will be a learning exercise to strip the old Tiagra down and service the old one

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I somehow doubt that getting parts do do this will be easy. I'd personally wind the B screw all the way in and see if your current mech will cope. The cage length purely lets the mech wrap more chain, it doesn't change anything else.

chriscross1966

Über Member
If it was Campagnolo then I'd say yes, there stuff retains remarkable bits compatibility during an era range for the smaller components, the bigger components will be finish and weight-saving for the better bits.... uless what you're looking at is Avanti, which seems to be a law unto itself (sigh)... but if you've got C-Record, or equivalent Croce D'Aune or whatever there was beneath them (Centaur?? Veloce? Mirage?) then the parts swapability is pretty high and I'd feel confident I could swap out in that way....

davidphilips

Veteran

Attachments

• Koala.jpg
    Koala.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 55
Top Bottom