Rear derailleur only shifting to larger cogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Bit bemused, apart from the smaller cogs I cannot get the hybrids rear derailleur, a Shimano Tourney 6/7 speed, to drop onto a smaller cog, changes up to each larger cog without a problem. Is it new derailleur time?

With the cable removed it should drop into the the smallest cog. If it can do it then, then I`d say that either cable problem or the hanger has taken a knock.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Absolutely not new derailleur time, they seldom malfunction. When was the last time you changed the cable outer where it curves round to the adjuster? More than six months and it's probably crudded up and rusty and preventing the RD from pulling over where the spring is weakest. As above remove the cable to see what happens.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Thanks, had replaced that outer but had not noticed one of the ferrules was slightly bent.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, remove the cable from the derailleur clamp and move the mech across by hand, it should stop in line with the large and small cogs at the extremes. If it doesn’t the hi-lo screws need adjusting. Connect up the cable once complete and adjust the cable tension.

OP
OP
Mike_P

Mike_P

Guru
Replacing the ferrule and well lubing the inside of the outer did the trick. Was still a bit sticky on the largest cog but then that easied presumably as the oil spread inside the outer. The bike was really having an off day, the rear tyre needed pumping up and when I removed the pump the end of the presta valve broke off; the inner tube is a Joe's No Flat so it's no doubt a well sealed the valve and it going to be very messy when the time comes to take the inner tube off it:sad:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Always a good idea when replacing cables to oil or grease them, my bike shop guy down here reckons the outers start going rusty with three months if not done.

Top Bottom