Rear Derailleur Shifts badly under tension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well After much messing about on the work stand and then today out on the road for a few miles find that its fine doing rear changes on the 43 chain-wheel and on the 30 chain-ring but for some reason miss-shifts very occasionally on the 50 chain-ring But I still put that down to my inability to correctly adjust. But on saying that I would state that the shifters were not the originals and were bought 2nd hand and could be worn though surely it would affect all changes on what ever gear Though its still 200% percent better than last time when I was out ( plus am still getting over broken heel bone and knee pain, so don't venture on to the fifty chain-ring much yet!!!) I may invest in a new pair of shifters but am loath to do that when it all works OK on the other Chain-rings
Thanks for all the valued advice all
Cheers

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well After much messing about on the work stand and then today out on the road for a few miles find that its fine doing rear changes on the 43 chain-wheel and on the 30 chain-ring but for some reason miss-shifts very occasionally on the 50 chain-ring But I still put that down to my inability to correctly adjust. But on saying that I would state that the shifters were not the originals and were bought 2nd hand and could be worn though surely it would affect all changes on what ever gear Though its still 200% percent better than last time when I was out ( plus am still getting over broken heel bone and knee pain, so don't venture on to the fifty chain-ring much yet!!!) I may invest in a new pair of shifters but am loath to do that when it all works OK on the other Chain-rings
Thanks for all the valued advice all
Cheers
Try changing that little bit of outer that runs from the frame to the mech, the quite sharp curve means that the liner can wear pretty fast and the change in position of the mech between the small and large front cogs can send the indexing out.

Well after a year off the road due to broken heel I bought a new sora 9 Speed rear derailleur mech to see if this was the problem . So OK it shifts a bit better oh and new cabling too. But however I adjust the thing I cannot get the gearing to shift correctly on the third and forth sprockets (roughly the middle area of the cassette } am pondering now whether to splash out on a pair of new 9 Speed Sora shifters as I think I said earlier that the ones I fitted were secondhand 9 speed which may well be suspect? would appriate any thoughts on this many thanks

Well funny you should mention this as I give it a cursory glance yesterday before setting out on the other bike, though it didn't seem misaligned at all though its well worth another look perhaps more detailed too I will get back to you on that later on Thanks for this

winjim

Smash the cistern
How much does a rear mech and new shifters cost? For reference, a hanger alignment tool is about forty quid.

screenman

Legendary Member
Did you ever really check the hanger alignment?

What do you think? People seldom take that bit of intelligent advise.

The tool pays for itself (in LBS fees) in 2-3 uses. If you are still having problems with the shifting after adjusting the cables, it's time to invest. Or just take your bike the the LBS if you don't have the confidence.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
A hanger alignment tool is worth using on a steel frame with an integrated hanger, but for a carbon/alloy frame, I would just replace the hanger as I've found it impossible to get them perfectly straight once they're bent - replacements are usually around £10-£15.

screenman

Legendary Member
A hanger alignment tool is worth using on a steel frame with an integrated hanger, but for a carbon/alloy frame, I would just replace the hanger as I've found it impossible to get them perfectly straight once they're bent - replacements are usually around £10-£15.

I have not had that problem, only one of my six bikes is steel and the mechs have been and are regularly adjusted on the other 5.

Top Bottom