Rear derailleur size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just bought a 'Shimano Tourney TX' to replace the 'Power Index System' one (which I assume is a cheap thing). I have just taken the old one off and compared it to the new one, I am amazed at the difference in size, the new one looks twice as big as the old one. I hope I haven't made a mistake buying the Shimano.
Any comments greatly appreciated.

Brian

I have just bought a 'Shimano Tourney TX' to replace the 'Power Index System' one (which I assume is a cheap thing). I have just taken the old one off and compared it to the new one, I am amazed at the difference in size, the new one looks twice as big as the old one. I hope I haven't made a mistake buying the Shimano.

Brian
It's designed primarily for a 1x system. Large range of sprockets in the cassette , and a ( relatively ) huge big sprocket, but a small chainring up front. The capacity of the mech is included in the blurb that comes with the mech.

IMG_4518.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
meddyliol

meddyliol

Regular
So, to get this right, there should be no problems with fitting the Shimano? This is the blurb that came with it:

• 5/6/7 speed SIS rear index shifting
  • Slant Pantograph for precise and reliable shifting
  • New 13T/13T pulleys. The odd number of teeth ensure even wear (alternating inner and outer chain links running over each tooth). The large pulleys ensure long service life and less noise.
  • Megarange gear compatible
  • B-tension adjusting screw for easy adjustment.
  • Compatible with 11T top gear.
  • Weight: 321g.
Brian

So, to get this right, there should be no problems with fitting the Shimano? This is the blurb that came with it:

• 5/6/7 speed SIS rear index shifting
  • Slant Pantograph for precise and reliable shifting
  • New 13T/13T pulleys. The odd number of teeth ensure even wear (alternating inner and outer chain links running over each tooth). The large pulleys ensure long service life and less noise.
  • Megarange gear compatible
  • B-tension adjusting screw for easy adjustment.
  • Compatible with 11T top gear.
  • Weight: 321g.
Brian
Yep, that should be fine.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have you bought long cage when your previous was short?

I expect it will work OK but to be honest, most modern derailleurs seem like bloody ugly blobby things to me. If I was after cheap, I would probably put a Sunrace M2T there if black was OK on the bike and one of the DNP rip-offs of no-longer-sold Shimano if silver.

It's designed primarily for a 1x system.
What's the source for that? I still see Tourney on a lot of 3x7 bikes.

OP
OP
meddyliol

meddyliol

Regular
I am pretty sure that the old one is a long cage. Pics of old and new. Old one is shown as a hanger type but mine is bolt on.

Attachments

• New one - Shimano.jpg
    New one - Shimano.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Old one - Power Index.jpeg
    Old one - Power Index.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 283

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am pretty sure that the old one is a long cage. Pics of old and new.
Yeah, looks long. By "twice as big", I guess you mean what seems to be a faux aero-scuplted body, that I called blobby. I don't get that fashion - it seems like the "jellymould" Ford Sierra approach to derailleurs. I prefer the minimal rectangles - if they rounded the ends to look aero, OK, but has anyone ever said "this derailleur looks too small"?

the snail

Guru
looks like those have different mountings, the shimano attaches to a threaded hole, the other one attaches to the dropout, which will be a problem.

OP
OP
meddyliol

meddyliol

Regular
looks like those have different mountings, the shimano attaches to a threaded hole, the other one attaches to the dropout, which will be a problem.

Sorry for the confusion, mine is a bolt on and the one shown as a hanger type isn't mine it's just a picture I found that looks like my old one. My old one is a bolt on as well. (That explanation might be even more confusing LOL).

Alan O

Über Member
Yeah, looks long. By "twice as big", I guess you mean what seems to be a faux aero-scuplted body, that I called blobby. I don't get that fashion - it seems like the "jellymould" Ford Sierra approach to derailleurs. I prefer the minimal rectangles - if they rounded the ends to look aero, OK, but has anyone ever said "this derailleur looks too small"?
I agree. I've got two road bikes here, both with non-indexed gearing. One has a Shimano Exage and the other a SunTour Vx - ugly and blobby vs shiny and svelte. (In fact, I have another Vx waiting to be installed and I'll soon be replacing the Exage.)

Reactions: mjr

si_c

Guru
I agree. I've got two road bikes here, both with non-indexed gearing. One has a Shimano Exage and the other a SunTour Vx - ugly and blobby vs shiny and svelte. (In fact, I have another Vx waiting to be installed and I'll soon be replacing the Exage.)
I've got an exage 300 rear derailleur on one of the peugeots, it's ugly, but it works really well and has a long cage, so I can throw whatever gears I want on it.

Alan O

Über Member
I've got an exage 300 rear derailleur on one of the peugeots, it's ugly, but it works really well and has a long cage, so I can throw whatever gears I want on it.
My Exage 300 has actually served me very well over the years, but I think it's past its best now - I've had it on since new. And the SunTour Vx on the other bike is smoother and quieter (both using new Shimano freewheel/blocks and new chains).

Top Bottom