Rear rack bag - advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I like my Topeak trunk bag. Its the slide on version that opens up to a small pannier if you want to. The Quick Release beam rack seems sturdy enough and together they appear to give enough capacity ( I think 7 kg) for some credit card weekends. As usual, @vickster has created a nailhead/hammer percussive interface. You may prefer their fixed rack. Halfords would be a start point as you may drop on their flash sales or 3 for 2 offers to get right in budget.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
prod79005_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500.jpg

hehehehehehe

up hill struggle

So, here's the criteria:
Price: Around £40 would be ideal
Size: Not too big, up to 7-10 L would be acceptable (if i get bigger I'll only fill it with rubbish, like my handbag!)
Fitting: Once on the bike, it will stay there so carry straps aren't a necessity
Weather proofing: Doesn't matter too much as I can always buy a rain cover, but showerproof would be useful

Thanks in advance!

how about something like this

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111216171117?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true

up hill struggle

that was a crap link wasn't it. Head slap.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111216171117

there are other smaller ones from different sellers.

if there anything like the racks on motor cycles its probably just a matter of fitting a washer below the rack with a bolt coming through the box through the rack & washer then the nut. One at the front of the rack one at the rear tighten them up & its fitted.

ive seen them in 2.5 lt & upwards, lockable & water proof. In the price range your thinking of.

im thinking of getting one for the ridgeback when i get it probably about 10 - 15 lt then carry my spare tube, wet gear and other crap in it should do the job nicely.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
that was a crap link wasn't it. Head slap.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111216171117

there are other smaller ones from different sellers.

if there anything like the racks on motor cycles its probably just a matter of fitting a washer below the rack with a bolt coming through the box through the rack & washer then the nut. One at the front of the rack one at the rear tighten them up & its fitted.

ive seen them in 2.5 lt & upwards, lockable & water proof. In the price range your thinking of.

im thinking of getting one for the ridgeback when i get it probably about 10 - 15 lt then carry my spare tube, wet gear and other crap in it should do the job nicely.
I actually like it better than the bags...

up hill struggle

its more secure. Different shapes wide shallow ones or tall thin ones i would imagine a range of colours.

but should last well & give better protection from knocks if the worst happens than a bag would & cant be unclipped & pinched as easy as a bag would be.

the more i write this the more im convince that even for me being a none commuter & just using the bike for fun that its a good idea. Don't know thinking back how i managed with out them on the motor bike although there were much bigger.

Ganymede

Veteran
see here https://www.cyclechic.co.uk/shop/bags-baskets-panniers not that you would catch me dead with one mind you...
Actually though, when you look beyond the "florals" (which I wouldn't want either!) there are some smart city-type bags which aren't too pricey and would be very useful when I'm in "utility cycling" mode (which tbh I mostly am). Thanks for the link!

Edit: and actually that "handbag hugger" is a good idea if you're about town - I usually throw valuables into my open basket on the back but am usually in rural areas - I suddenly realised recently at a busy train station that anyone could have had my stuff out behind me and I wouldn't know!

vickster

Legendary Member
Not keen on the plastic ones too chunky, look like it belongs on a motorbike. Also risk of cracking if, heaven forbid the bike is dropped or crashed :ohmy:

The purple ones are very cool. Also look at minx girl or velo vixen for ideas

Learnincurve

Thank to this thread I have discovered that amazon have the Raleigh triple pannier back in stock. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000W4CSS6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I did a lot of research and looked at a few in the flesh and these look to be the best. I did look at those pretty basal bags @John the Canuck linked to, they are on amazon for £30-£35 and again are meant to permanently attach.

I currently have one of the large bags that go on the top of the rack, I'm switching because unless they are absolutely evenly packed they will slowly lean over until you hear the sound of your bike hitting the ground sideways.

Ganymede

Veteran
Not keen on the plastic ones too chunky, look like it belongs on a motorbike. Also risk of cracking if, heaven forbid the bike is dropped or crashed :ohmy:

The purple ones are very cool. Also look at minx girl or velo vixen for ideas
You should NOT have told me about "velovixen"... I am looking for a new helmet and saw this...

Attachments

• main_imagesq4upload_8_1.jpg
    main_imagesq4upload_8_1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom