Recommend/advice on folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Hi guys...

Well it certainly sounds like bromptons are the way forward! I've been looking and they are nice - plus I suppose when I have the choice of getting the bike for a reasonable discount then skimping for the sake of like £10 a month in my repayments is pointless!

I've been looking at the various types and I don't know whether to go for an M or an H, I suppose the M for it being more versatile. I think I should go for a 2 or 3 speed, again just in case it ends up being used for more than commuting.

What I'm wondering,is whether I really need the bag racks of the R type. I think getting the L over the E is essential because I'll need the mudguards but I have a backpack for my work stuff and if, in the future, I really need to carry bags then i'm sure I can get the bag holders separately.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/brompton/m3l-2015-folding-bike-ec057647

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Can you try one out? Our local dealer hires them out and the hire cost is then deducted from the price of the bike when you buy. I took one for a day so I could check which gearing I needed.
If you can't find a local dealer there are Brompton Dock hire bikes in Birmingham - you could try one of those.

Most people go for the front bag option rather than the rear - you can add the clip for the front bags later so you don't need to decide that now :smile:

Of course, the hardest part is choosing the colour

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'd spec the front clip as part of the initial build - although the bags are not cheap they're simple to use. With a front bag you'll be able to do a 10-mile round trip in work clothes - not something I'd want to do regularly with a backpack.

Also bear in mind that Bromptons maintain their value extremely well. I sold my first one after about 10 years, despite a stay which had rusted through, for about 60% of what I initially paid.

jay clock

Massive member
I have Brompton (s3L) and a Dahon. Dahon is a better ride but the Brompton is massively more practical and useful. Battery lights are cheap and fine, and I have the S bag with the front block. Excellent. I personally would not be without mudguards

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi guys...

Well it certainly sounds like bromptons are the way forward! I've been looking and they are nice - plus I suppose when I have the choice of getting the bike for a reasonable discount then skimping for the sake of like £10 a month in my repayments is pointless!

I've been looking at the various types and I don't know whether to go for an M or an H, I suppose the M for it being more versatile. I think I should go for a 2 or 3 speed, again just in case it ends up being used for more than commuting.

What I'm wondering,is whether I really need the bag racks of the R type. I think getting the L over the E is essential because I'll need the mudguards but I have a backpack for my work stuff and if, in the future, I really need to carry bags then i'm sure I can get the bag holders separately.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/brompton/m3l-2015-folding-bike-ec057647

I think you should try one to see whether H or M works for you.
As @srw suggests, get the front block fitted anyhow.
Mudguards make huuuuge sense.
The benefit of the rear rack is not so much for luggage carrying, but for wheeling the bike around folded - probably useful for train/platform mobility, it, it really doesn't wheel floded without the rack.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have Brompton (s3L) and a Dahon. Dahon is a better ride but the Brompton is massively more practical and useful. Battery lights are cheap and fine, and I have the S bag with the front block. Excellent. I personally would not be without mudguards
This.

Mine is an S3L too and I live on the edge of the pennines and don't have a problem managing hills and flats on the standard geared 3 speed. As a pure riding experience love my Birdy folder over the Brommy but both are far better than they look.

Mudguards are an essential IMO for a commute bike.

In terms of a rear rack or not on a Brompton, decide and commit to your choice before you buy as changing plans afterwards will be costly ~£100 for a rear rack & compatible mudguard to retro fit and apparently its a bit fiddly to do.

The front block is a far better option for on the bike carrying.

The other bonus of the Brompton partly due to its trendy appeal but mainly because of its sheer utility is that it holds its value amazingly well.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Thanks again

Im hoping to pop up some shops tomorrow so if I go near somewhere that sells bromptons, I shall get a looksie.

It's annoying as I'm actually on holiday this week and my employer has only opened up the cycle2work scheme for 2 weeks...so I'm kinda working quickly!:rolleyes:

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
While I wouldn't dispute the many virtues of Bromptons I bought a Mezzo D9, brand new, for £499. (It was old stock from an on-line dealer.) It doesn't fold quite as neatly as a Brommie but certainly small enough to take on buses, even on the small buses they use on rural routes these days. No problem at all on trains. Not as fast as a proper road bike of course but goes OK on country lanes and moderate hills as well as in towns. Full mudguards and carrying capacity make it handy for shopping trips. No, it's not a Brompton but it is excellent value at the price if you can find a similar deal.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Well I had little luck finding many bike shops. I came across an Evans but they only had Tern in stock and the guy couldn't really give much more info than "basically bromptons fold smaller". I then found a halfords bike store and they of course don't sell bromptons and I get the impression the 17yr old or whatever didn't really have much care for a folding bike.

One thing that has occurred to me...probably a silly question but weight (mine, not the bike) shouldn't be an issue? I weigh about 15st (95kg).

srw

Well I had little luck finding many bike shops. I came across an Evans but they only had Tern in stock and the guy couldn't really give much more info than "basically bromptons fold smaller". I then found a halfords bike store and they of course don't sell bromptons and I get the impression the 17yr old or whatever didn't really have much care for a folding bike.

One thing that has occurred to me...probably a silly question but weight (mine, not the bike) shouldn't be an issue? I weigh about 15st (95kg).
If I were 15 stone I'd be delighted, and I've been on a Brompton for years. Without wishing to be rude, one well-known Bromptoneer occasionally of this parish is probably rather heavier.

srw

http://www.brompton.com/Find-a-Store

I've used On Your Bike in London a lot - the one in Birmingham would be a good start.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Ok!

So I'm back from my holiday and was able to pop into my local Evans store.

Spoke to a very nice young lady who was very helpful and was able to show me how to fold and unfold the bike and the pitfalls (turning the handlebars the wrong way for example).

She instantly agreed that if, really, my main concerns are size and weight when folded then it's got to be a Brompton. She also said that she does a lot of touring (?) and she even uses her Brompton for that sometimes as well.

She said that the only real difference between the H and M handlebars is a small piece of stalk about an inch long. She said really in her opinion it's only worth going for the H if you're above sort of 6'2....which I'm not. She said that the S and P were not something to consider for commuting.

She advised that I go for the 3 gear, standard, not hub (not worth it for the price increase). Just because in her opinion people start off thinking of it as a bike for commuting only and then before you know it you're using it for more and more and then it's better to have the freedom of the gearing.

Finally we agreed on the model that comes with the mudguards and front bag holder (L I think). I'm going to get a Brompton C bag to attach as well and we said that I could just pay over the counter for any smaller extras like lights/helmet/locks etc on the day.

The main annoying thing is I can't get one in green...which was the colour I liked. I do like the raw laquer coloured one but that adds like £100 to the price of the bike so I'll have to think about it. I do like the orange but I'm just worried that it will be too strong a colour!

Anyway, scheme amount requested and now it's just a matter of waiting a few weeks for the voucher to come through!

Thanks to everyone who has assisted!

jay clock

Massive member
When you say standard not hub gears, the 3 speed does have hub. Also in terms of bar height I have an S3L and find the S fine for commuting, And the straight bar looks better (IMHO)

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
hmmm.

Just had a look on the brompton website and it does look like the 3speed comes in the hub - as opposed to say the single or 2-speed which has the sprocket-looking thing. maybe i misunderstood what she meant, she was running through the various options and saying that although you can really customise the bike, she said a lot of the time it isnt neccessaryl

Top Bottom