Recommend/advice on folder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Did you try one? You really should rather than relying on the sales lady to tell you which options you don't need :smile:

Why can't you get green? Is it because Evans won't order it? I have racing green - it's lovely.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Did you try one? You really should rather than relying on the sales lady to tell you which options you don't need :smile:

Why can't you get green? Is it because Evans won't order it? I have racing green - it's lovely.

Well I didn't try it no. I haven't ridden a bike in around 30 years! I wouldn't know what to check or think of...I don't know the benefits of gear hubs, deraileurs, brake pads over brake discs etc

Unfortunately I am trying to get this bike through my works cycle scheme. I only have till the end of next week to get the whole process sorted as well so I don't really have a lot of time to be doing much checking.

I'm not too sure exactly why I can't have the green. She looked on the Evans website and said that they don't sell the M3L in green....I assume that means that it's not just out of stock, they simply just don't sell it at all in that colour for that model

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you only buy from Evans? How about on your bike as suggested? They take c2w vouchers, not sure if same scheme

I think if I was spending a grand on a Brompton I'd try my hardest to get the colour I wanted :smile:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I'm really glad you decided on a Brompton - the only logical choice given your criteria. The only advice I can add to all the other sensible recommendations above is to consider specifying a rear rack - not particularly for increased carrying capacity, as a front block makes more sense for load carrying - but for the option to add 4 ezy-wheels (sp?) which makes for a versatile and stable shopping trolley. Whoops - further advice: Schwalbe Marathons instead of whatever Brompton's standard issue is nowadays.

mustang1

Guru
Brompton Brompton Brompton Brompton Brompton Brompton Brompton Brompton Brompton...

Best grand you will ever spend.

Some other folders may ride better, but given that folded size is a key factor for you, it's your only real option.

As for accessories, get a decent set of cheap lights (eg Lezyne Femto), a pump and puncture repair kit and that's all you really need. Maybe get a helmet as well if you feel the need for one but no need to spend more than £30-£50 on one. And maybe a cycling-specific rain jacket.
+1.
If I was buying a folder, I'd only consider brompton.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
+1.
If I was buying a folder, I'd only consider brompton.
You'd miss some damn good bikes then, but in this instance fold being paramount then yes.

@Mr_Ed I'm with @jay clock . in about 15 minutes I'll be commuting to work on my S bar Brompton with its 3 speed hub gear.

The S Bar is lower so gives a slightly more racy positio & not as flat chested into the wind and rain and in my opinion/experience gives a better control of the bike as your centre of gravity is slightly more forwards. There's not much in it though but not one to dismiss out of hand like the sales lady seems to have done.

The 3/speed thing, I suspect shes advising you gocfor the standard option as a general purpose start point as you can have different ratio of gears that will see you climbing steep hills better if you lived in more rugged areas or the other way would see you able to ride faster in flat fenland etc. I think she's got that right for much of the country.

Brompton colours are a funny thing, they pick one or two a year that are that years 'standard' free options and the others cost extra to specify. Strange notion IMO but if you go to Bromptons site and find the build your own bike up bit you'll see which are this year's free options. Else that or she's offered what they have in stock to get it too you faster than the usual many weeks wait for a bespoke build from the factory.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I find that the M handlebars are perfect. I'm 6' or so, so it means that the handlebars and the saddle are about the same height, which means that I've got a reasonably upright ride. Yes, I probably lose a little in air resistance, but (a) in an urban setting it really doesn't matter - it's the traffic lights that are the constraints over speed, not the bits of road between traffic lights, and (b) upright means you can see more, more clearly. For someone who's not ridden in 30 years I'd certainly recommend upright. I'd also recommend the 3-speed, because it's simpler and cleaner than the derailleur (2-speed, or combined with a 3-speed, 6-speed). I think the saleswoman has advised @Mr_Ed well.

On the colour - Evans stocks standard colours rather than offering the full mix'n'match service you get direct from Brompton (at a price). The colour really doesn't matter all that much - a bike is a tool, not a fashion accessory.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Well blow me...that's scuppered it all

Very sorry to have ended up wasting everyones time! I put my request in today for the cyclescheme voucher and the head of HR has refused it on the grounds that I am only on a fixed-term contract which does not last as long as the 12month repayment plan.

I *could* understand that...sort of...if it wasn't for the fact that my fixed-term is still for another 8 months and then the company's intention (which I have written proof of) is that I will be taking over the role of someone who is retiring at the end of the 8 months and I will then become a full-time employee. Not to mention that even if that didn't happen, as part of the agreement I have to sign and give to my employer it states that I have to pay the remaining balance - its not like they will lose out at any point!

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
Well blow me...that's scuppered it all

Very sorry to have ended up wasting everyones time! I put my request in today for the cyclescheme voucher and the head of HR has refused it on the grounds that I am only on a fixed-term contract which does not last as long as the 12month repayment plan.

I *could* understand that...sort of...if it wasn't for the fact that my fixed-term is still for another 8 months and then the company's intention (which I have written proof of) is that I will be taking over the role of someone who is retiring at the end of the 8 months and I will then become a full-time employee. Not to mention that even if that didn't happen, as part of the agreement I have to sign and give to my employer it states that I have to pay the remaining balance - its not like they will lose out at any point!
I work in HR and they are right sadly. If you leave for any reason in those 12 mths you have to pay the full balance on leaving (retirement, end of FTC, firing, resignation etc) and lose the tax benefit....

OP
OP
M

Mr_Ed

Regular
Oh well. As I say, I'm very grateful to all those who commented and assisted.

I probably won't go out of my way to pick up something now, what with the weather changing (the scheme is a pretty amazing deal so it was worth it for that), so perhaps I will get something 2ndhand in spring.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Worth keeping an eye out for a second hand one. There was one on Ebay recently which had been a Sustrans staff bike which went for what I thought was a reasonable price of £440.

At least now you have an idea of what options you're looking for.

Top Bottom