Recommend me a mature cheddar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
The Tesco "Creamfields" mature cheddar (their value brand) is actually surprisingly good.

Will confess to buying the big kilo blocks as I use it for cooking and toasties and the like, but they do it in smaller packs too. Used to get the mid-range cheddar for cooking, but it's really shot up in price, taking it into big brand / cheeseboard territory.

I kind of discovered the value cheddar during first lockdown when it was either that or nothing, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's only fault is that they don't do an extra mature version, because I prefer my cheddar to have a bit more "oomph". But as an everyday all-rounder it works well enough.

For something decidedly more poncy, the Co-op do a really lovely cave-aged vintage cheddar :hungry:

I like my cheddar to taste like I'm chewing razor blades. Combine that with a 1/4 inch thick slice of Spanish onion and crusty bread and I'm in heaven.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I usually alternate between Cathedral City and Pilgrim's choice; whichever is on offer at the time. I prefer the CC for flavour; however it has the grotty self-sealing, "let's use some excess plastic to appease peoples' lazyness" packaging; so prefer the PC in this regard..

Tenkaykev

Guru
Oh, I like a really strong top-notch cheddar too - it's just that I won't commit sacrilege by cooking with it... :biggrin:

I make macaroni cheese with a mix of the best quality mature cheddar and Red Leicester cheeses, gold top milk and a small can of evaporated milk. I also mix a teaspoonful of Marmite into the cheese sauce for extra bite.

I make macaroni cheese with a mix of the best quality mature cheddar and Red Leicester cheeses, gold top milk and a small can of evaporated milk. I also mix a teaspoonful of Marmite into the cheese sauce for extra bite.

I can feel my arteries hardening just reading that... :laugh:

Sounds good tho. But I prefer strong mustard in a good cheese sauce. And swap the Red Leicester for Provolone Piccante. :hungry:

Might sound weird but mac cheese with cheese sauce mix is good and miles cheaper. Bit of dijon mustard in the sauce and lots of pepper. Then the best bit, breadcrumbs soaked in truffle olive oil on top so they go crispy, magic.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
My prized purchase from West Bridgford farmers' market yesterday. :hungry:
P1000849.JPG

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Should we be eating much cheese anyway these days.
I have cut my consumption right down and I use to love eating cheese

Why not?
It’s a good source of protein for those of us who don’t eat meat (and have no issues with cholesterol).
Eating should also be around enjoyment.
Ditch meat and eat cheese :biggrin:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I agree that good cheese is a very satisfying thing to eat. My problem nowadays is that it causes gastric problems.
I get any cheese I want from our local farm who produce Isle of Mull Cheese and it is less than a mile from my house. They have a variety of ages and types most of the time.
As a side business they have started to ferment and distill the whey to produce some kind of alcoholic drink.

Top Bottom