Recommend me a mature cheddar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
660814-SUyCM6MTB87NjbaP.jpg

tom73

Guru
M&S do a very nice Welsh Cheddar. The big block was often on offer at a fiver, but it was a brick which can take some getting through.

It's still a fiver just not as big a brick as it was. They do one older than that one if you want to go even more stronger.

Alex321

Veteran
We usually shop in Tesco, with waitrose for a few things or a top-up shop at the weekend.

We use the Cathedral City (mature or extra mature) for an "eating" cheddar, and the tesco creamfields mature (their value range) for cooking with. The creamfields is quite variable in taste, some can be rather on the mild side, others fairly strong, but it is never crumbly - tends more towards being rubbery in fact.

This is a good all rounder. Good flavour (not pasticky), good bite without being overpowering, grates well (finely and shavings), cooks well, good in sarnies (with or without accompanying fodder). And if you are feeling lazy, it comes in slices or pre-grated. And even worser, there is a reduced fat version! Other sizes available.

Certainly not the best cheddar I've tasted but eminently edible, my 'house' cheddar.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
This is a good all rounder. Good flavour (not pasticky), good bite without being overpowering, grates well (finely and shavings), cooks well, good in sarnies (with or without accompanying fodder). And if you are feeling lazy, it comes in slices or pre-grated. And even worser, there is a reduced fat version! Other sizes available.

Certainly not the best cheddar I've tasted but eminently edible, my 'house' cheddar.

Thanks, that's the one I was mentioning upthread. I'll be near Waitrose tomorrow so can check it out :smile: It's even their cheese of the month!

Top Bottom