Recommend me a mature cheddar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
We do have Waitrose and M&S, Sainsburys not too bad for cheese too

M&S Cornish Cove Mature Cheddar Cheese 350g.

stephec

Legendary Member
I like the extra mature from this place, I discovered it a few years ago when I went there for work - https://www.dewlay.com/

They also do a lovely double Gloucester which actually has some flavour rather than the usual bland supermarket jobbies.

Not sure if you'll find it down your way though as the factory is in Garstang, 40 minutes up the road from me and luckily I pass there a few times a month for work.

The Tesco "Creamfields" mature cheddar (their value brand) is actually surprisingly good.

Will confess to buying the big kilo blocks as I use it for cooking and toasties and the like, but they do it in smaller packs too. Used to get the mid-range cheddar for cooking, but it's really shot up in price, taking it into big brand / cheeseboard territory.

I kind of discovered the value cheddar during first lockdown when it was either that or nothing, and I was very pleasantly surprised. It's only fault is that they don't do an extra mature version, because I prefer my cheddar to have a bit more "oomph". But as an everyday all-rounder it works well enough.

For something decidedly more poncy, the Co-op do a really lovely cave-aged vintage cheddar :hungry:

Bit left field but try Belton Farms Shropshire Red aka Red Fox. Yes I know it’s not cheddar but it’s got a nice consistency and a fuller flavour than much everyday cheddars. Not crumbly. Mrs Optic prefers it to mature cheddar on a cheeseboard

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So many heretics! Welsh Cheddar! Cathedral City! The kitchen worktop in my old house had more claim to be called Cheddar than those! Might as well save your money and eat some plasticine.

In general, only that labelled "west country farmhouse Cheddar" can be relied on to be anything like Cheddar, but Barber's and Wyke are reasonably widely available both own brand and for store brands and I think all genuine, but it's probably only a matter of time until they license the names to tasteless big food. Sainsbury's organic is also sometimes made by someone good like Alvis Brothers or Wrington Vale, and says so on the packet.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Bit left field but try Belton Farms Shropshire Red aka Red Fox. Yes I know it’s not cheddar but it’s got a nice consistency and a fuller flavour than much everyday cheddars. Not crumbly. Mrs Optic prefers it to mature cheddar on a cheeseboard

I thought it was a matured red leicester, but agree its excellent.
Probably too strong and sophisticated for some though.

Just as no Londoner is more than 6 yards from a rat, no west Londoner is more than 20 minutes drive from a cheesemonger / artisan deli that will let you taste their wares.

I suspect this is an @Accy cyclist style Friday pm thread to amuse the recuperating young @vickster until Countdown comes on....

Does this mean that no rat is more than 6 yards from a cheesemonger?

Top Bottom