Recommend me a mature cheddar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Bloody fussy you are. You do know Cheddar is a bit boring on it's own ! Wensleydale and Cranbury is a winner !

Bleurgh Wensleydale...crumbly ...horrid.
I just want a plain cheddar, I'll add my own extras as required (but not pickle or chutney yuk)

No idea what a Cranbury is though :whistle:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd just get Waitrose Medium bargain bucket 'essentials' cheese then ! :rofl: Sort of run of the mill cheese with a tiny bit of taste - it will be fine.

That'll all I really need, I might go extra mature though :biggrin: It was more to see if any of the supermarkets had anything better than any other. Tesco used to be decent but they've done something to it and now it's more crumbly :sad: I prefer a more rubbery texture :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That’s around ten miles away, probably a 45 minute drive each way at the weekend. Then I have to find and pay for parking!
I’m just looking for easily accessible options

Just as no Londoner is more than 6 yards from a rat, no west Londoner is more than 20 minutes drive from a cheesemonger / artisan deli that will let you taste their wares.

I suspect this is an @Accy cyclist style Friday pm thread to amuse the recuperating young @vickster until Countdown comes on....

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Just as no Londoner is more than 6 yards from a rat, no west Londoner is more than 20 minutes drive from a cheesemonger / artisan deli that will let you taste their wares.

I suspect this is an @Accy cyclist style Friday pm thread to amuse the recuperating young @vickster until Countdown comes on....

Unfortunately nothing within 20 mins of here that’s easily accessible. Not in posh West London me :whistle:

I’m bored with work rather than waiting for Countdown (I watched some Tipping Point over lunch though ;))

but I really have run out of cheddar (I have only paneer, port salut and some elderly Parmesan in the fridge)

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That'll all I really need, I might go extra mature though :biggrin: It was more to see if any of the supermarkets had anything better than any other. Tesco used to be decent but they've done something to it and now it's more crumbly :sad: I prefer a more rubbery texture :laugh:

I'd say Cathedral City would give most 'standard' cheeses a run - consistently good and you've got medium, mature and extra mature - extra mature isn't too strong, - just used up a block and a half for my lasagne !

Definitely look for a re-sealable packet though, stops it drying out.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s not a Cheddar, nor is it likely to be available (maybe in more exclusive shops) but the Swedish Västerbotten cheese is a delight for any cheese lover. It’s very mature with a lovely taste.

Maybe I need to try IKEA :biggrin:

Jameshow

Veteran
Every time I buy cheese from Aldi it’s already off (they’re rubbish at monitoring dates) or goes off really quickly!
A decent 300g+ lump is fine, I just don’t want a massive hunk (well maybe I do but not of cheese :laugh:)

Im here... That's so cheesy!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom