Recommend me a van (?) / Estate for cycle transport for £10k….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Pretty sure I’m going to sell an impractical daily; and get something useable. Ie: A Van, Estate car maybe (?)…just something ultimately bigger !

I’d like to be able to chuck a bike in the back (Really easy to walk in and do this with our works Transit Connect / Connect type size van - hence why that was my first thought). Although I wouldn’t be averse to a VW T6 type size vehicle. Although then there might be seating issues with the above for more than 2 people….

So maybe an Estate car would be an easy, spacious and available option ? More for your buck too ?? 🤷‍♂️ Although not quite as easy an entry / exit route for your cargo…

I guess I’m just looking for a utilitarian / multi purpose vehicle capable of carrying a bit of a payload in relative comfort.

I’ve literally always owned cars. Often 2 door. Never had a van, estate or anything remotely practical. Just now looking to cover as many situations with one vehicle as possible……

Engine size not an issue as such as I do so few miles. Although with a vehicles a few years old - bigger engine might equal big road tax.

Anyone been here, made the change, got any thoughts ? I’ve literally been thinking for a month or two about how difficult it is for me to buy a washing machine, move a small table, take a bike somewhere and have got no further than that. But I am now ready and looking to do something about it.

Thoughts ? 🤷‍♂️ Ta

Drago

Legendary Member
Berlingo Multispace/Peugeot Partner. May as well lock the thread now.

Sharky

Guru
Had a zafira now for 21 years. Versatile for carrying OH and 4 kids. Seats down and can take a huge amount to the tip. Takes my bike without removing wheels to events. Driven down to Spain a few times.

Now a bit tired and approaching EOL, and now discontinued, but you can get 2018 models approaching your budget.

Worth adding to your list of possibles.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thankyou. You’re obviously a fan. Why so ?

Not tremendously aesthetically pleasing are they. Sorry. Can I now Chuck that in the mix too 🤣
They're not compromised by either style or pretension - chrome don't get you and your bikes home.

They're comfortable, tough, versatile, good value, reasonable to drive. They've very popular among the CC masseev.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I'm very happy with my Peugeot Partner - no problem with chucking a bike in the back. It was one of the reasons I bought it.

"Aesthetically pleasing" ?? - come on, we're talking about vans !

Drago

Legendary Member
Let's face it, unless you're in Fezza or Lambo territory you won't get laid because of your car, so it doesn't matter what it looks like. The only other people that care are the sort that wear matching team rally jackets when driving their car, and you're in real trouble if life has dealt you such a hand that you care what they think.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if you want more pleasing on the eye that a van / van derived car e.g. Berlingo , then a square backed estate like the Volvo V70 is a very practical offering, bikes, fridge freezers, wardrobes etc can all be chucked in the back (not all at the same time), But a Berlingo etc is roomier because the load space is taller, you could possibly fashion some sort of rig to hang bikes with the front wheel off vertically ? possibly?

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
if you want more pleasing on the eye that a van / van derived car e.g. Berlingo , then a square backed estate like the Volvo V70 is a very practical offering, bikes, fridge freezers, wardrobes etc can all be chucked in the back (not all at the same time), But a Berlingo etc is roomier because the load space is taller, you could possibly fashion some sort of rig to hang bikes with the front wheel off vertically ? possibly?

Culture shock perhaps - looking at a Peugeot van and coming from a run of ‘sporty’ semi-focused cars……

I’m not looking to keep up with the Jones, or impress the current ‘Audi-wars’ owning neighbours surrounding me. But pleasing the eye counts in there somewhere….

I think perhaps an estate might be a more rounded vehicle right now. I’m 52 - so lifting a bike / sensible loads in is no issues. Would only be larger / heavier loads where a van would really shine. And those moments aren’t frequent.

What we do frequently: is ‘holiday’. And those times always present problems - squeezed into the wife’s car. An estate would also make those times pain-free. Comfortably.

Even chatting aloud about it has given me plenty to chew on. And perhaps funnel me into a particular direction….😎

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Culture shock perhaps - looking at a Peugeot van and coming from a run of ‘sporty’ semi-focused cars……

I’m not looking to keep up with the Jones, or impress the current ‘Audi-wars’ owning neighbours surrounding me. But pleasing the eye counts in there somewhere….

I think perhaps an estate might be a more rounded vehicle right now. I’m 52 - so lifting a bike / sensible loads in is no issues. Would only be larger / heavier loads where a van would really shine. And those moments aren’t frequent.

What we do frequently: is ‘holiday’. And those times always present problems - squeezed into the wife’s car. An estate would also make those times pain-free. Comfortably.

Even chatting aloud about it has given me plenty to chew on. And perhaps funnel me into a particular direction….😎

Speaking as a man who has had a variety Volvo estates for past 20-25 years, the only danger is that you pack too much!! they needn't be boring either, I had the V70R version for a few years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thankyou. You’re obviously a fan. Why so ?

Not tremendously aesthetically pleasing are they. Sorry. Can I now Chuck that in the mix too 🤣

They are a bit meh, but as a bike carrier/mini camper they are very good. Loads about and cheap to fix.

Be aware a van may land you into congestion charging tax if you use it, where a car wouldn't.

Top Bottom