recommendations of inexpensive toolset kit for brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I once used a 4lb lump hammer to assemble a Sturmey-Archer ASC. As far as I know, it is still running perfectly.

(It was actually to knock the ASC LH ball cup into a replacement shell, since the ASC shell had a cracked flange and was 40h anyway. The ball cup of the ASC is pressed-in, otherwise it would unscrew in use, and an S3X or SRF3 shell is suitable. I did use blocks of wood and nothing was damaged!)

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I nearly have my Brompton and have already bought the toolkit.

I have a tool kit I carry on my other hub gear bikes but it's a bit bulky and does not have any Allen keys. My road bike kit is compact but had no spanners. So I needed to put a new kit together and was not sure I could do it better and definitely couldn't make it smaller.

My local Brompton dealer offer a loyalty points scheme so the kit only cost me about £22 of my cash.

mitchibob

Über Member
Just remembered, since final stint of Festive 500 couple years ago and getting puncture on way to Cambridge in the middle of nowhere, have tended to also carry a head-torch once the days get short, although, perhaps recent addition of an emergency helmet mounted light might take it's place in the saddle bag this year. Of course, since having the head-torch in the saddle bag, have not had a single puncture in the dead of night in the middle of nowhere. I've probably just jinxed that!

Kell

Veteran
Just remembered, since final stint of Festive 500 couple years ago and getting puncture on way to Cambridge in the middle of nowhere, have tended to also carry a head-torch once the days get short, although, perhaps recent addition of an emergency helmet mounted light might take it's place in the saddle bag this year. Of course, since having the head-torch in the saddle bag, have not had a single puncture in the dead of night in the middle of nowhere. I've probably just jinxed that!

I do have a helmet mounted light. It works both front and rear and would be great for that purpose.

Lezyne Femto Duo:

11309700-2004410671509203.jpg

If I've cycled back home in the winter and it's dark after work, I often switch it on when I put the bins out.

Currently on offer.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cyclin...Vl4BQBh13rQEvEAQYBCABEgJQHvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
Y

yoho oy

Well it seems what I am looking for is this:
  • 8mm, 10mm, 15mm spanners
  • Pozi and flat screwdriver bits
  • 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm hex bits
  • chain tool
  • So any tool set that will have this in the lightest and most compact form will do.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I know that removing the back wheel of a B is quite a performance. I did it once at home just to practice, but I've forgotten all the details. I do remember it wasn't straightforward.
A lot of people say that and still I don't get it as my experience is different. Acknowledged that I've done it countless times over the last 15 years that I own Bromptons but still: The only part that was not totally intuitive was remount the chain tensioner and even that is not a big deal. Switching the backwheel takes way less than 10mins in my experience.

Kell

Veteran
I think the key is that you've done it multiple times.

I've done it only once, about 3 years ago :laugh:
I absolutely dread having to do it at the roadside

i think it's a bit of this.

It's not difficult per se, but it is a little unusual compared to a 'normal' wheel. And it would be difficult to do for the first time by a roadside. In the dark. In the rain.

ExBrit

Über Member
In the cold. Naked. Kneeing in the mud. With just a bent teaspoon as a tool. On the rush to an important meeting. While being attacked by aliens. :ohmy:
You mean "probed by aliens, using your bent teaspoon." You'd have to wait until they had finished.

Top Bottom