Recommende good bib shorts for longer rides.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Everyone is different when it comes to bib comfort. For what it's worth the comfiest bibs I have are made by Shutt VR closely followed by DHB. There is a big difference in price between the two makes. Price has no bearing on comfort imo. The best thing for you to do is try and find a pair that you get on with from other people's recommendations.

All the ones I have are good for up to 40 miles, after that, my bum hurts and the ride becomes uncomfortable so what make to you recommend that will have padding good enough to go past 40 miles? Budget about £120.
Altura and Pearl Izumi are my choice for anything over 100 miles.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Another fan of Endura Pro SL Bib Shorts - got the mark 1 in a sale 1/2 price - that good will get the mark 2 with best discount for my next pair - (3 widths to fit to saddle size) - though agree like saddles each unto their own - though finding your own is the holy grail ...

U

User33236

My previous CC used Champion Systems for their kit and I used their shorts without issue for many long rides, including multi-day rides, without issue. Others in the club didn't get on at all well with them.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Castelli free aero - all day comfort + most stores have them on sale (just bought 2) 10/10
Have a couple o pairs o Rapha team sky and they are equally up to the job 10/10
Took a recent punt on dhb aeros. - the pad is creased and chafes my delicate we bum bum if not positioned absolutely perfectly 6/10

jay clock

Massive member
My comfiest by a massive margin are Assos Cento. £162 in the sale though.... Endure FS260 also great and much cheaper but on newer versions the front is much higher and makes peeing a bigger challenge!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I t think I will wait until after the bike fit before I splash out my hard earned pension. I will mention it and see.

Like you I live off my pension and I'd encourage you to investigate sitting position, general set up etc. first. After your bike fit you should be much better placed to decide.

Personally I think shorts are the single most important piece of clothing. If necessary I would happily revert to low cost jerseys etc. but I'll never skimp on shorts.

I cannot recommend Assos highly enough for comfort, fit and overall value for money. Even at full retail, often £150+, their longevity, 3 years for me, works out at £50/year or £1/week.

About 15 years ago after much research and trying for fit I bought my first pair of Assos F1 Mille. These bib shorts are specifically designed for long distance comfort. I think they are discontinued but they do come up from time to time at:

https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com

The full price is scary, £165, BUT sign up for the Outlet email and watch for deals. In the year before I retired I was able to buy 3 pairs at £90 each. A pair lasts me three years** and so I have ten years worth of shorts in my cupboard. I imagine Assos will have designed a replacement if you can't get these.

When I first purchased Assos I was very nervous at spending so much but it's a decision I have never regretted. Three tips from me, take the advice in the sizing guide (I didn't first time buying large when I needed medium), do buy bibs and take the time to go to a large retailer to try before you buy.

** these tend to wear out at the base of my spine which means by the end of year two it's a rather unpleasant sight. Usually the pad is still good and worn out pairs are comfortable underneath unpadded bib longs in winter - a big saving.

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Standard dhb ones I find very comfortable...the 30 pound jobbies...Recently bought the dhb Aeron for longer rides and dont get on with them at all...its like the pad is too hard and causes lower back pain...dont get it with the standard ones so very much a personel thing

Just revisiting this thread with a change of view of the Aeron shorts.Ive been using them for commuting for the last couple of weeks and after a few runs in the washing machine and wear,I find them to be excellent...glad I gave them another go.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Price has no bearing on comfort imo. The best thing for you to do is try and find a pair that you get on with from other people's recommendations.
This ^^^
Planet X Clubman Light Bib Shorts did OK for me on this year's long rides for 3+days straight through on Mille Pennines, and then again, for LEL (5 days straight through), with morning applications of Sudocrem. £15 per pair (recently). I think that grippers on the legs of shorts are well worth avoiding.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Planet X Clubman Light Bib Shorts did OK for me on this year's long rides for 3+days straight through on Mille Pennines, and then again, for LEL (5 days straight through), with morning applications of Sudocrem. £15 per pair (recently). I think that grippers on the legs of shorts are well worth avoiding.
I've got both the Planet X Clubman Light Bib Shorts & plain Planet X Clubman Bib Shorts (no mesh) and agree they are very comfy for rides of 3+ hours, personally prefer the non-mesh version. I also like the fact they don't have the silicon grippers but a wide band of lycra around the legs instead, I've not experienced any problems with them riding up. Unfortunately they've put the price of these back up but knowing Planet X and the fact that winters on the way they'll soon end up in a sale.

Top Bottom