Recommended chippies fish and chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
N

Never come across that, just fish fritters in the ones I know of. Not all chippies do them, but they all do patties, definitely an 'Ull delicacy.
I’m going back a long time ago, mid-eighties, l recall patties and Yorkshire fish cake, also a fish the size of dolphin!, the chippy was just after the King Billy statue, but my memory could be playing tricks, somewhere around the swing bridge area, city side of the A63, but I know there’s been a lot of changes since then

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I’m going back a long time ago, mid-eighties, l recall patties and Yorkshire fish cake, also a fish the size of dolphin!, the chippy was just after the King Billy statue, but my memory could be playing tricks, somewhere around the swing bridge area, city side of the A63, but I know there’s been a lot of changes since then
Interesting, this article is saying it's West Yorks in origin.
https://www.visitfyldecoast.info/lifestyle/cooking/yorkshire-fish-cake-recipe/
Can't think of a chippy near King Billy except Bob Carvers, which used to have a stall in the market, but like you say, you wouldn't recognise the area from the 80's.

DRM

Guru
Can't think of a chippy near King Billy except Bob Carvers, which used to have a stall in the market, but like you say, you wouldn't recognise the area from the 80's.
it was a bit further up, could have been on the other side of the river, but it was a long time ago, there's been a lot of redevelopment in Hull,
and many changes, I do recall having to close all the vents & turn off the fan well before approaching the now long gone Hull Fish & Oil Co! the stink from there was shocking

midlife

Guru

Blimey, I'd forgotten about Bob Carver having a stall in Hull Market, used to go there in the 70's. There was a good chippy up from where I worked at Cliff Pratt and Wold Road shops. All had plenty of "scraps" :smile:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I remember going to a chippy in Hull called (I think) Paddy Cheesemans, maybe 30 years ago... Google tells me nothing so I assume it closed years ago. Does it ring a bell with anyone? I can't remember what the food was like, but the name popped into my head when I saw people mentioning Hull and chips.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

DRM

Guru
That suggests a possible poll on what to call scraps. Where I grew up, in Lincoln, they're called scrumps. I think @mudsticks probably calls them gribbles (which I thought were marine worms with a taste for timber), while in some areas they're called dumps, which also has some unsavoury associations.
Usually scraps here, but sometimes Bits, there’s a chippy near Liversedge called Wi Bits

Bits in Lancashire.

Top Bottom