Recommended chippies fish and chips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
It's not difficult to get fish and chips right is it?

It's not as if you're cooking a complex dish with an multitude of herbs and spices that need to be added at the right time and in the right quantity.
This is so wrong mr moody and I am afraid shows that you will never be knighted with the holy chip. Off to the frozen food/microwave aisle with you while we continue to seek the grail.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is so wrong mr moody and I am afraid shows that you will never be knighted with the holy chip. Off to the frozen food/microwave aisle with you while we continue to seek the grail.

Yes, there's certainly a skill in deep frying.

Properly deep fried fish is not greasy, whereas badly deep fried fish is like a grease saturated sponge.

Same goes for chips.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yes, there's certainly a skill in deep frying.

Properly deep fried fish is not greasy, whereas badly deep fried fish is like a grease saturated sponge.

Same goes for chips.
Exactly.
For many a year a fair few chinese run places seem to have long mastered the art, or managed something pretty damn close to it.
Which would I am sure mystify/shock a fair few Italians I know who like to think that a good pizza can only be made by someone with a vowel littered name who can trace their lineage back to Leonardo.
This shows to me that we are a more broadminded isle than some would give us credit for.

embrace the chip :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This shows to me that we are a more broadminded isle than some would give us credit for.

True in many respects, but certainly true for cuisine.

I've heard several top chefs and food critics comment that the breadth of cooking styles in London and the UK is unmatched anywhere in the world.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I sense that this thread will end up with a certain northern leaning in its awarding of accolades, but in the interests of chips without frontiers, this

Ossies Fish Bar Faversham
https://goo.gl/maps/c1ryF9ESRrULs4Mo6

First discovered on a cycle camping trip to the wondrous festival of beer music food and culture that is the Hop Festival.

I have been since, without the bike, but a caution - I think it's takeaway only (or has very few seats) and the burghers of Faversham seem to think that benches in their (very nice) town are some sort of invitation to sloth/sin/public fornication/revolutionary conspiracy or something. Hardly any benches in the entire town. Had to leg it quite some distance with two servings before they chilled to a bench in a churchyard.

cheshirerob

Fosters fish & chips, chorley hall lane, alderley edge. Best in town.
Proper chunky chips, not too much batter on the fish. Always good, always busy.

tom73

Guru
threw me there for a while as I know Skipton quite well and had never heard of it.
Turns out it's the place I know as Bizzie Lizzies, next to the canal bridge?
If so, yes, pretty good.

Bizzie Lizzies is lovely one time we went when Mrs 73 came back with them. I'd ended up with 2 fish turned out when they put the 1st one on my order. It broke in 1/2 so the lady said I put you another on. So I got two fish only cost us for one.

Others we've found good are

Capplemans in pickering. aways nice and you get a good big portion too. Avoid potters Hills one pickering it's dreadful.
Drake's in central York is worth a go never had any issue.
The one in Wetwang is really good (can't remember the name)
Magpie in Whitby is fine I'm not sure it's the best i've ever had but was not a let down by any means.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It's noticeable that the really good chippies aren't on JustEat and the like, funny that.

Anyhoo, good chippies that I know from my travels:

Any of the Anstruther chippies - competition seems to keep the quality up. Never had a bad fish supper in Anster.

The Tail End in St Andrews. Fish is good but the chips are amazing. You honestly just want to savour each and every one.

Carron Fish Shop Stonehaven - yes, the deep fried Mars bar place - chips are meh but the fish is lovely.

The Ashvale, Portlethen - another that's good for fish but the chips are so-so.

Benny T's Falkirk - always good for celebrity footballer spotting but a nice fish supper too.

The AllanWater Cafe in Bridge of Allan - mmmm mmmmm mmmm lovely chunky flaky fresh haddock in a crisp batter

The Bellrock in Arbroath (formerly the Bervie Chipper) - hit and miss with gye thin slivers of haddock but very tasty.

Sammys in Fort William - strange selection of fish but stick with the haddock and it's a winner.

Fort Cafe Lerwick - the fish was so fresh it was nibbling on the chips. Lovely.

Top Bottom