Record turntables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What about this one, he says, doing his best to be helpful and not take the mick....

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=essential2digital&cat=turntables&lang=en

The last turntable I had was playing away one day with the cover up. I'd forgotten that the cat liked to sleep on top and unseen, in the darn thing came, leapt blindly on top of my turntable, spun 360 degrees and made a surprised dive to safety, writing off the record, the arm and the cartridge. To this day I'm not sure if the ensuing din was from the cat or the turntable. I converted to digital after that and now have a dog.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
the turntable will probably have these phono/RCA connectors...
Phono.jpg

...possibly along with an earth (although that might be a thing of the past now).

If your soundbar has a headphone type connector, you can get adapters for next to nothing.
3-5mm-Macho-Est%C3%A9reo-Mini-Jack-A-2-RCA-Hembra-Enchufe-Convertidor-Doble-Phono-Lead-Cable.jpg

There's rather more to it I'm afraid. Those are indeed "phono" conectors. However a "phono" input on the amp is designed for the very low signal level from a pick up cartridge and puts in an equalisation curve (RIAA) to compensate for how the records are recorded. Merely using the right plugs and a bit of wire won't work

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's rather more to it I'm afraid. Those are indeed "phono" conectors. However a "phono" input on the amp is designed for the very low signal level from a pick up cartridge and puts in an equalisation curve (RIAA) to compensate for how the records are recorded. Merely using the right plugs and a bit of wire won't work
i explained that in an earlier post. ...or tried to.

Thinking about this, for running it through soundbars and bluetooth speakers I'd probably pick something like the Ion air unless you have pretty high quality Soundbars and speakers as you just won't hear the extra quality otherwise. Plus at your age you're not going to pick up all those extra frequencies anyhow....

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thinking about this, for running it through soundbars and bluetooth speakers I'd probably pick something like the Ion air unless you have pretty high quality Soundbars and speakers as you just won't hear the extra quality otherwise. Plus at your age you're not going to pick up all those extra frequencies anyhow....

You're not wrong. When I was an employee part of the induction was a hearing test so as to set a baseline in the event of a compo claim for hearing loss in the future.
Having completed the test apparently mine was completely normal.....for someone who had spent too much of his formative years in nightclubs. Those happy memories of staggering out into the darkness at 2am with all the sound muffled around you

This thread makes me understand how confusing it must be for beginners posting in the "what bike" thread.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You're not wrong. When I was an employee part of the induction was a hearing test so as to set a baseline in the event of a compo claim for hearing loss in the future.
Having completed the test apparently mine was completely normal.....for someone who had spent too much of his formative years in nightclubs. Those happy memories of staggering out into the darkness at 2am with all the sound muffled around you

This thread makes me understand how confusing it must be for beginners posting in the "what bike" thread.

Here's some helpful hints on youtube

View: https://youtu.be/HoPXQ9fotZM

mythste

Veteran

I agree with Crackle... I love Hi-Fi but it's only going to be as good as your worst component (for the most part, for the smartarse about to quote this...)

I love the project stuff (and Rega, as someone mentioned previously will see you in seriously good stead) but unless you're planning on investing in some semi serious speakers and an amp I don't know many soundbars that will do them justice.

tobykenobi

Über Member
For the two hundred notes you mention I'd suggest a 2nd hand rega. Back in the day the model was Rega Planar 3, with the slighlty cheaper planar 2 clise behind.

I would add to this. Unless they've been treated very badly, Regas are very reliable. I've had a Rega Planar 3 for almost 20 years now. Still running well.

Things to bear in mind, as others have said, is you will need a phono amp to boost the output to the level expected by the amplifier or sound bar. These can be quite cheap (eg this) and even battery operated.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I agree with Crackle... I love Hi-Fi but it's only going to be as good as your worst component (for the most part, for the smartarse about to quote this...)

I love the project stuff (and Rega, as someone mentioned previously will see you in seriously good stead) but unless you're planning on investing in some semi serious speakers and an amp I don't know many soundbars that will do them justice.

Not sure I'm wholly convinced. The cheaper speakers and amps these days, even the bluetooth ipod speakers are suprisingly good, so I don't think a rega or even a linn would be a total waste. In any case I'd record the vinyl ont a lossless digital format then ise that, so if you upgrade the rest you'd still have it in high quality. I used to be a bit of a hi fi nerd back in the day, but even as a more skeptical older person, I still think a good "source" as the lingo has it is worthwhile for even half decent speakers and amps - and very cheap amps and speakers are better than half decent now - speaking as someone who has 5' high 50kg speakers which were apparently £3k new (for me a fleabay bargain £500)

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I bought an Ion USB turntable a few years ago. It's not bad, though not a patch on my old PL-12D, but for transferring favourite LPs to play in the car it's fine.

Which reminds me, I must do another batch.

Top Bottom