Record turntables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Stan and Ollie were ahead of the game...

IMG_2861.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
For the two hundred notes you mention I'd suggest a 2nd hand rega. Back in the day the model was Rega Planar 3, with the slighlty cheaper planar 2 clise behind. £400-£500 would get you a Linn LP12 (2nd hand) which is another level again, though can be tempremental to get set up to sound just right. A good linn just sounds awsome but the rega is still a good bit of kit. A othere have mentioned your amp does need to have a phono input - which all old ones do, but fewer modern ones. Note there are moving magnet and moving coil subvariants of phono inputs too - according to the type of pick up you have. A usb thing from maplin or whatever will be crap in comparison
I've got a Rega Planar complete with felt turntable pad. I think it's probably 25 years old but it still sounds pretty good. Ebay is the place to go if you want really good hi-fi stuff at knockdown prices.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Most of my vinyl is from the 70s, I was never precious with them at the time so some are in a shocking state, but it is amazing what a wash with a sponge in a basin of luke warm water, with a drop of detergent, will do.

Linn's sales flim-flam used to claim that their turntable was better able to "extract the music" from poor records rather than making it sound even worse. My bullshit detector caught that one - right up until I got my Linn and fair play; even my oldest mono cast offs from my uncle which I was going to dump sounded brilliant. I heard things in the music and no longer noticed the crackles and hiss.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Linn's sales flim-flam used to claim that their turntable was better able to "extract the music" from poor records rather than making it sound even worse. My bullshit detector caught that one - right up until I got my Linn and fair play; even my oldest mono cast offs from my uncle which I was going to dump sounded brilliant. I heard things in the music and no longer noticed the crackles and hiss.
I'd say that's actually more to do with the cartridge than the turntable. Over the last 18 months, I've upgraded from a Nad 3020i amp to an Arcam Alpha 8, from a Pro-Ject 2.1 turntable to a Rega Planar 2 and from an Ortfon 10 cartridge to a Pickering XSV 3000. Each upgrade has brought significant improvement, but the change of cartridge is, I would say, by far & away the biggest.

I'm a bit confused. All these posts about listening to a turntable? I tried to find them on spotify to stream to one of my Bose's but no joy. Maybe I need to drive up the M1 (the easiest way to travel back in time) about 20 years and find out what you lot are talking about.

Top Bottom