Record turntables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last edited:
I recently bought a £250 Audio Technica direct drive turntable which has a pre amp and USB a output, it's based on a Technics design (looks identical) which sell in the $4,000 bracket. I find better than pro-ject belt drive my son has and there is no fiddly belt to fall off. I play it through the TV surround sound. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Tech...qid=1479746355&sr=1-5&keywords=audio+technica
Please not a direct vs belt drive opinion, we'll end up in a helmet-esque thread :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The last turntable I had was playing away one day with the cover up. I'd forgotten that the cat liked to sleep on top and unseen, in the darn thing came, leapt blindly on top of my turntable, spun 360 degrees and made a surprised dive to safety, writing off the record, the arm and the cartridge. To this day I'm not sure if the ensuing din was from the cat or the turntable. I converted to digital after that and now have a dog.
:laugh::laugh::okay:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Galvanised into action by all the good turntable advice I've been getting here I went into the garage to review the vinyl that's been sitting there untouched for years

Alison Moyet, Spandau Ballet, Grace Jones, Simply Red.......

I may need a rethink :laugh:

Actually my Motorhead stuff which is still at my Mum's which is a strong incentive to get a turntable...that and Mrs N's Northern Soul singles collection

Last edited:
Most of my vinyl is from the 70s, I was never precious with them at the time so some are in a shocking state, but it is amazing what a wash with a sponge in a basin of luke warm water, with a drop of detergent, will do.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
With turntables one of the most important things is that they have a rigid stand or shelf to sit on if you want to turn the volume up, the cartridge (needle bit) is a transducer that converts mechanical movement into an electrical signal. Any undue vibration is also converted .

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I agree with Crackle... I love Hi-Fi but it's only going to be as good as your worst component (for the most part, for the smartarse about to quote this...)

I love the project stuff (and Rega, as someone mentioned previously will see you in seriously good stead) but unless you're planning on investing in some semi serious speakers and an amp I don't know many soundbars that will do them justice.
Thing with low end turntables these days is... you've got cheap & cheerful (anything under £100), inexpensive yet still a bit cheap (100-150) and inexpensive but pretty damn good for the money. (£150-250). Bottom end Project turntables aren't much more expensive than a Sony or Pioneer 'separates' turntable (branded, over-priced and cheap)... A project is definitely worth the extra £20 or £30 regardless of the speakers, cables or amp.

Last edited:
With turntables one of the most important things is that they have a rigid stand or shelf to sit on if you want to turn the volume up, the cartridge (needle bit) is a transducer that converts mechanical movement into an electrical signal. Any undue vibration is also converted .

Ivor Tiefenbrun used to always go on about using these for his turntable.....Naim used to like them too

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tables/coffee-side-tables/lack-side-table-black-art-20011408/

lack-side-table-black__22518_pe107397_s4.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Galvanised into action by all the good turntable advice I've been getting here I went into the garage to review the vinyl that's been sitting there untouched for years

Actually my Motorhead stuff which is still at my Mum's which is a strong incentive to get a turntable...that and Mrs N's Northern Soul singles collection

Another contender from back in the day was the Logic turntable. Can't quite remember the model but it was dearer than the rega 3 and I rather preferred it. Never had the cachet of the rega so likely a good deal if you see one on fleabay. I thought it a good bit better than the rega for rock music, less so for classical.

However I made the mistake of listening to a linn.

any of these would be miles better than a crappy turntable though,

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yes... firmly bolted to the wall so @nickyboy can bust his moves to Simply Red and not risk the needle putting a scathing scar across the whole side of the disc.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
And thanks to @The Velvet Curtain for my 8,000th like for this load of bollox

Top Bottom