Refugee Food Festival - France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’m lucky to be enjoying a short break in Lille staying at a hotel with a Michelin-starred restaurant. We had lunch there today, although it drifted well in to the afternoon.

For such a posh operation, the staff were very friendly and not especially formal. Today they were also all wearing small orange badges that said “Refugee food”. There was a choice of three prix-fix menus and one was called the “Refugee Menu”. Knowing nothing about the festival, I just assumed that some of the cost of the meal was being donated. It looked very tasty, so bang - I’m having that.

Just before the main course our waitress comes out looking very smiley and tells me that I’m the only one that’s ordered that menu (I think the restaurant had about 22 covers in all) and the guy who cooked it is very happy and excited. It starts to dawn on me.

After we’d finished dessert, a festival organiser comes out to our table with a very embarrassed looking Sudanese guy in chef gear in tow. She explains that the festival places refugees with food skills in professional kitchens over June, working with French chefs to produce something that fuses French cuisine with that of their homeland. The festival operates across France and Switzerland.

I can just about follow basic French but I’m hopeless it speaking it intelligibly, so when the organiser lady twigged that we’re from the UK she flipped to English and Mohammed the chef looked relieved as his English was way better than his French. He explained the main dish, which was a variation on salted fish with a peanut butter sauce. This was the only service that he’d be cooking.

It was all quite moving if a little embarrassing with all the other guests looking on. That I’m able to afford a meal like that is a privilege, but having it cooked by a guy who left his home to escape a civil war is quite humbling.

Food is a great way to bring people together and break down barriers. I’ve my own personal experience in my family that I’ll not bore you with. This post is long enough as it is.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Viewing the world from the other side of the optic occasionally does us no harm and can put our privileged existence into perspective.
Many of us (and I keep trying to drum this into my kids) lead a very, very fortunate existence that is almost embarrassingly comfortable, but only continues if we work conciensously. I have nothing but admiration for hard workers who do their best despite terrible hardship and disadvantages. I have very little time for lazy scroungers, but someone who is passionate and will work to improve their lot deserves the chance to advance and get recognition for their effort.

Eat that food and leave a glowing review if it is worthy of such. :okay:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Food is a great way to bring people together and break down barriers

This is so true!

Well done that restaurant for giving Mohammed his opportunity.

The refugee charity where I volunteer provides free community lunch from 1pm to 2pm for everyone who comes in; staff, volunteers and those using the charity’s services. It’s cooked by either refugees themselves or a volunteer from one of the refugees’ home countries. The food is incredible and such a great way to get to know those who’ve made the journey.

Top Bottom