Replacing a 2014 Boardman CX Comp freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MatB

I've got a sticky freehub on my 2014 Boardman CX Comp that's not spinning easily at all. Realised due to the chain falling off when I try to ride; it's probably been going this way for some time.

Judging by a search, this sounds like a perennial problem but no one's followed up with what replacement parts applied:
Removing the freehub

First problem was removing the freehub to see what I might be able to do with it.

Initial trickiness was getting a suitable sized tool to undo it. 10mm hex slipped straight through; 12mm too big; so it must be 11mm? Unfortunately the 11mm socket I ordered had only the last bit ground down from 12mm to 11mm so that also wouldn't go in far enough.

1595453294839.png

Local Halfords extremely helpful, but sent me a on a wild goose chase for a cassette tool, then insisted they couldn't get an 11mm in and a 10mm was slipping so it must be buggered. Finally managed to get an 11mm hex key and lo and behold if fitted. It was long enough that I could get an 11mm socket on the other end and get the thing off with not too much brute force.

1595453244853.png

Futile effort to repair

I was hoping this would expose the pawls and it would be a simple clean and fasten back on. But no luck. They're internal.

By the sound of things it's not something that can easily be taken apart and put back together; certainly not without a bearing puller, etc. So I thought it worth a degrease and re-grease. Soaked in degreaser; re-oiled, applying a bit of air pressure to assist both steps, but haven't managed to get it any better than it was. I think it's time to try and replace.

Finding a replacement

1595453567481.png
1595453599783.png
1595453629861.png

You can't see on the photo, but it is stamped 'M M P'. I've seen other ones stamped with other letters, but in the same style. I guess the style might identify it more than the lettering (batch number?)

As I understand it this is a bit of a no-name unbranded part. What might fit? I've heard various suggestions; will it likely fit if it looks similar, or is it more subtle than that?
Arghhh

Trying to get to the bottom of this feels like playing with Russian Dolls. Try a bit, wait for the next tool delivery, rinse, repeat. It's taken me a couple of weeks so fat. I'm rapidly getting fat from lack of exercise!

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think to save you any more heartache it may indicate it’s time for a new hub :smile:

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sorry; can't help (much?) but maximum points awarded for tenacity and the quality of your writeup :okay:

I've been in similar situations in the past, trying to identify no-name bits by chasing scant shreds of information on the net and trying to pump the dis-interested and unknowledgeable for the necessary data. A thankless and usually fruitless task!

As regards replacing just the freehub, I'd urge caution as stuff that "looks" similar might not be compatable.. while if the issue you're currently experiencing (which seems to particularly afflict these bikes, from your links) is due to a design flaw you don't really want to replace your defective item for an identical one that will likely suffer the same fate in a few years.

I see from the spec / your pic that they're Mavic rims (who are no dead in the water as a brand it seems); if these wheels were supplied by them fully assembled might be worth trying to pump them for information, presuming there's even someone left to answer emails / calls..? Equally I've spoken directly to Boardman in the past and they've generally been very helpful (far more so than the local Halfrauds) so it might be worth dropping them a message.

As Cycleops suggests, I think it might be time to look at replacing the entire hub or even wheel depending on ease of finding a suitable replacement.

OP
OP
M

MatB

Really surprised when I called up Boardman. After a bit of umming and arring, find the right bit of paper for 2014 that although they couldn't find a part number they had some other reference number I could give to Halfords to order one. I can't remember the exact description he reeled off, but it sounded like it was pretty generic with a bunch of bike manufacturer names slotted in that it was presumably used on/would fit.

Local Halfords meanwhile promptly gave me the runaround "can't find it on the system", "it's not on the website" (no, I know that), "bike expert who'd know is not in until tomorrow", and even "I can order you one, but not until I take payment which I can't do over the phone." What!? Who can't take a customer not present transaction for something I've got to later pick up. Persistence eventually paid off after battling through a traffic jam to actually go and order in the store this evening. I've got one coming Wednesday. At least I hope it's the right part.

Boardman's reference on Halfords' system: 341740
Receipt description: "FHB CB/Car/VD Splin F th"
Cost: £19.99

Interesting points wafter. I too wonder how long this one will last if it's a straight replacement, but to be fair it's taken about six years to get to this state. Right now I'm more inclined to get something up and running rather than continuing to get fatter (I'm only a piss poor runner which is the alternative right now) than perfecting a solution. I'll have a known good bearing and the old knackered one to compare so hopefully be able to catch it a bit sooner than chain falling off next time and have time do consider my wider options. If it fits of course.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Really surprised when I called up Boardman. After a bit of umming and arring, find the right bit of paper for 2014 that although they couldn't find a part number they had some other reference number I could give to Halfords to order one. I can't remember the exact description he reeled off, but it sounded like it was pretty generic with a bunch of bike manufacturer names slotted in that it was presumably used on/would fit.

Local Halfords meanwhile promptly gave me the runaround "can't find it on the system", "it's not on the website" (no, I know that), "bike expert who'd know is not in until tomorrow", and even "I can order you one, but not until I take payment which I can't do over the phone." What!? Who can't take a customer not present transaction for something I've got to later pick up. Persistence eventually paid off after battling through a traffic jam to actually go and order in the store this evening. I've got one coming Wednesday. At least I hope it's the right part.

Boardman's reference on Halfords' system: 341740
Receipt description: "FHB CB/Car/VD Splin F th"​
Cost: £19.99

Interesting points wafter. I too wonder how long this one will last if it's a straight replacement, but to be fair it's taken about six years to get to this state. Right now I'm more inclined to get something up and running rather than continuing to get fatter (I'm only a piss poor runner which is the alternative right now) than perfecting a solution. I'll have a known good bearing and the old knackered one to compare so hopefully be able to catch it a bit sooner than chain falling off next time and have time do consider my wider options. If it fits of course.
Good work - sounds like progress :smile:

OP
OP
M

MatB

Well I picked up the part I ordered from Halfords this evening. Rather surprised. It seems I've ended up with more bits than I expected:

1596063949779.png

I hope that doesn't mean I can't replace just the freehub body on it's own. I would rather get back on the bike than spend the weekend continuing my Russian Dolls approach to repair and trying to figure out how to rebuild the wheel with a new hub. That being said, I guess it would be silly not to replace the lot now I've got it.

OP
OP
M

MatB

Drat; the hubs are different diameter on the outer bit where the spokes fasten:
1596129970898.png

No worry, I'll just use the freehub; it looks like it'll fit the existing hub. Not easy dismantling with no wheel attached, but eventually got the axle out with a 17mm hex socket, an adjustable spanner wedged in my workbrench and far more squeaking than I expected. Then my highly prized 11mm hex in the hub side and a 12mm hex ratchet attached hex bit in the opposite end.

Looks viable. Fits in the existing hub hole well. Oh, argh, damn, double drat. Original freehub screws into the hub, new one opposite - hub screws into the freehub. While they look very similar on the outside, they're entirely opposite. I thought briefly about whether it could be removed and reversed but further inspection shows it's not - the middle hex puts paid to the 'nut' fitting in the freehub.

1596128767097.png
1596130489053.png

Alright, can I just rebuild the wheel with new hub? I'd need to do a bit of web research on how, what tools I might need and whether I can re-use the existing spokes) but no need to bother with that - the hub's definitely the wrong part, there's no equivalent place to fasten the brake disc:

1596130697183.png

I think I'll be remonstrating with Mr Boardman in the morning and starting again.

OP
OP
M

MatB

Still going on this. I remonstrated with Boardman; they're a bit flummoxed but the guy on the phone's going to ask his more mechanically-minded mate and get back to me...

Current plan:
  1. Chase Boardman for an answer on Monday. Offer to them that it might be Halfords code 124100 based on some Internet threads but equally that might be the previous model year.
  2. Ponder further guessing:
    1. It seems the sizes match the SRAM 506 based on that listings Q&A, but of course no one's got any in stock.
    2. Trek/Bontrager Freehub Body 561948 (repl W268886) seems plausible although no sizes to compare, so it's difficult to be sure without ordering one. There are a few alternatives but most can be discounted: the 561949 is 11-speed (although worryingly listed a 130mm OLD, whereas my bike is 135mm OLD - but not sizes on the 561948); W268886 has been superseded by the 561948; W211339 is sealed cartridge bearings.
    3. Bontrager Race/Rhythm Comp 9 speed also appears similar, and seems to be available fairly widely (probably all ordering from the same place rather than holding stock) but no specs so a pure guess.
  3. Physically visit a proper LBS when I can, probably Tuesday, but realistically I don't think anyone wants to deal with these no-name parts.
  4. Order a new wheel (but of course, that opens up needing to understand what might be suitable - seems 622x19c; 135mm OLD and to fit my disc brakes is all I need to know? Maybe skewer size). Continue down path of figuring out what part might fit as it would be damned annoying for this to become another thread with no answer.

Ajax Bay

Guru
[new wheel] 622x19c; 135mm OLD and to fit my disc brakes is all I need to know? Maybe skewer size)
622-19 (no 'c', and '21' would do too), 135mm OLD, QR (because I don't think your frameset has thru-axles)('all' QRs are 'the same'), centrelock or 6-bolt fit for the rotor (you have now), and 8-10sp freehub (11sp are different (slightly longer) where the cassette slides on).

OP
OP
M

MatB

I'm still waiting for Boardman to get back to me, but in the meantime I figured I might as well try my best guess which was the 561948. Ended up ordering from Pedalon, which describes it as a Bontrager Select Freehub but uses the 561948 reference.

I've only done a quick test fitting tonight, but the freehub fits the existing hub and the cassette fits on the freehub. Success!

References from the packet, it's Trek branded:

1596752928774.png

JRmaz

Thanks for writing such a detailed fix for your CX Comp Mat, it made my life a lot easier as I had the same issue! Brilliant.

Andy_H

Same here, thanks very much, Mat!

I have a Boardman Team Carbon 2014 that had a noisy freehub (probably as a result of there being little to no grease left in it).

The original freehub didn't appear to have anything on it to indicate what it was but it looked the same as the one on your bike. I didn't find anything specific for my bike model online but the photos in this post really helped.

I was going to buy the Bontrager Select Freehub but I wasn't sure if it would be quite the right size as I don't have disc brakes.

In the end I found an SRAM Freehub on Amazon where somebody said it fitted their Team Carbon (no year mentioned). I've fitted it today and it's a direct replacement. I expect the Bontrager Select Freehub is probably the same size but I wasn't 100% sure.

The SRAM Freehub I purchased is this one for anyone who's interested:-

SRAM Freehub Body for X7/X9/Rise 40 Hub, 11.2015.028.100: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Cheers!

fozbat

Just wanted to post my absolute thanks for this. Got the 561949 11 speed based on your excellent research and write-up. Just needed to add a 1mm spacer and all good. Amazing.

Top Bottom