Replacing MTB tyres for the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crisscross

Hi, I'm new to cycling but intend doing London to Paris in May.

It will be a slow steady jaunt and not a sprint.

I'm carrying plenty of weight ( my own as well as the panniers) on a Specialized Hardrock.

I appreciate the bike isn't ideal for the journey but we will only be averaging between 30 and 40 miles a day so it and I should cope.

It has big, wide knobbly tyres that feel like they are sticking in treacle after 20 miles or so.

I would like to replace them with something more suitable for the road during our trip.

Please can anyone recommend a set of reasonably priced ones that offer a decent amount of puncture resistance and will help me glide effortlessly - I can dream.

Will I need to change innertubes or just use the ones already on?

Thanks

esrite

i have the same bike and changed the tyres to Specialized Nimbus Armadillo. a little pricey at £25 each from Evans cycle. but in a year of use have only had two punctures (both in the winter months) and are decent in rain conditions and the dirty roads of late.

if you put these on you wont have to replace the inner tubes.

decent tyres although im not entirely sure they are the most fastest- i.e you could go thinner

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
A lot of people on here seem to use Schwalbe Marathons (or Marathon+), and them never tried they seem to get good reports, although I've never had any myself.

I'm currently running the 700cx32 version of the Michelin City on my hybrid and they seem good solid (if a little heavy) tyres. At £10 each they're a lot cheaper than a lot of others but at 4 days in I can't say much about longevity yet.

OP
OP
C

crisscross

Many thanks, my local shop fitted me a pair of Marathon+ which improved things dramatically.

No more treacle!

Top Bottom