Result! On speeding drivers in our street.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Been campaigning for years to get something done about the problem of drivers racing through our street to beat traffic lights on the main road.

This morning I went and had a meeting with the senior man at our local Traffic Police office. He has also been concerned with the problem for the last 10-15 years but today he promised me a whole new initiative with the Safety Partnership camera car and officers in the street at peak times. I'm not celebrating yet but if we can get it into the minds of the habitual shortcutters who race through every day that it's a bad place to cut through and speed, we will have won a good little victory.

Fingers crossed.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
good job! Take a bow!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've used guerilla tactics and they work. We had the bridge replaced over the stream under our street and the street was closed for four months of glorious peace. Just as the work was finishing the "access only" signs at each end disappeared for a few days then reappeared chained to street furniture. They worked like magic for a month before the council removed them. I was cycling with a bloke who worked at the Highways department and he told me his boss was furious!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bad Company said:
Usual ant cardriver crap from some of usual suspects. Ya -a -a - a wn.

Presumably you don't have kids and you don't live in a narrow pre-industrial lane with inadequate or no pavements that's been used for years as a rat-run with some drivers racing through at speeds recorded by your county council at over 60mph? This lane is limited to 30 mph and access only.

Thought not.

Davidc

Guru
Bad Company said:
Usual ant cardriver crap from some of usual suspects. Ya -a -a - a wn.

Comment as Mickle above.

User said:
As it is, it's been in the news several times - once because some drivers complained and the police asked him to take it down (to which he told them to Foxtrot Oscar) - but it still seems to be working.
If there had been birds actually nesting in it at the time, it would have been an offence to take it down (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 etc. etc.).

Anyway, roll on the deterrents! Anyone remember the cardboard police cars (and officers)?

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
Globalti said:
Presumably you don't have kids and you don't live in a narrow pre-industrial lane with inadequate or no pavements that's been used for years as a rat-run with some drivers racing through at speeds recorded by your county council at over 60mph? This lane is limited to 30 mph and access only.

Thought not.

My kids are now grown up thank you. I live on a 'through road' in a village and yes the occasional driver using excess and inappropriate speed is an occasional problem.

Top Bottom