Ridden into by another cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

cupoftea

Bent do you tell your students not to wear bike helmets?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
What's that got to do with this discussion? Ask it in a new topic and I'll answer happily.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear why a skinny road tyre on my recumbent can outstop your fat-tyred MTB.

Disk brakes are not overkill!!!

This argument always revolves around "I can put my bike into an endo with my 1912 Wiennman friction tyre brake. Disks are overkill. Why would I want a disk."

BECAUSE THEY ARE BETTER. End of story.

The anti disk argument is much like arguing that just because you could word process on a Commadore 64, a more powerful computer has no worth because you can do the same thing on it. But you can do it BETTER.

If rim brakes were so good we would have them on motorbikes and cars. In terms of feel, ability and performance a quality hydraulic disk cannot be beaten.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have to agree, discs are great, but horses for courses after all. When you want low weight the other advantages of disc brakes are less important. Stopping power isn't one of the advantages for road riding though. If you want beautiful control with minimal lever force, and low maintenance, then discs win of course.

BentMikey said:
I have to agree, discs are great, but horses for courses after all. When you want low weight the other advantages of disc brakes are less important. Stopping power isn't one of the advantages for road riding though. If you want beautiful control with minimal lever force, and low maintenance, then discs win of course.

I do! I do so want this!!!!

No pad adjustment to keep the lever pull perfect, just set it once and moniter the pad's wear by eye so you don't do any damage.

No grab once the pads have swiped the rim clear of water in the wet.

Road specific disks could easily be made negligeably heavier than rim brakes, and the reduction in material needed at rim would reduce rotational weight and allow more aero shapes.

Disks look sexy.

Fade free performance on long mountain descents.

Come on Hope, STI levers with a resevoir for hydro disks. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!!

OP
OP
C

cupoftea

Bent it can't and it doesn't, or do you have done a study that showes how your bike can out brake mine

You're starting to sound like some school kid in the play ground.

What sort of job do you do where you can get away with this atti-rude

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, no study needed. Just a simple few braking tests will show you that you're mistaken. I see your location is London. Want to meet up for a few tests on a dry day? I'm sure we can get User and Valiant along, who should be able to outbrake the both of us. I'll bring a video camera too, then we can publish it on here.

OP
OP
C

cupoftea

Bent

What is your problem?

All that I asked was that people with skinny tyres stay off my back wheel as some idiot on a road bike had crashed into me.

Rather than just say would road cyclist stay away as you can’t ride your bikes without crashing, I tried diplomatically to ask that people with skinny tires to stay away.

You then wasted page after page trying to say that tyre size didn’t matter, which eventually you agreed it did.

This is not the first time you’ve just been argumentative and wrong. A number of people seem to look to you for guidance (heaven knows why).

You’re now trying to set up a competition between me and a recumbent. I’m sorry but in 10 minutes I’ll be back commuting like I do everyday, week in week out and I don’t see many recumbents so I don’t see what the point is. I could always strap a parachute to my bike and see who stops first.

I’ve never said that the bike / ride / tyre condition etc don’t have an impact. They do.

Riders who have both MTBs and Road have said to me that MTB’s stop faster.

It’s people like you that criticise everyone rather than adding constructive comments that make this site a real pain.

In the end I DON’T CARE I just don’t want some idiot crashing into the back of me.

But Bent if you really want to meet up then fine, Parliament Square at around 9:10 each morning and we’ll race round and test our brakes until someone hits something.

That way we can see how an old beat up MTB performs against your stop flight recumbent in a real traffic environment.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Easy tiger! There's no need to take this so personally. We know all about the original post, and there's no argument from anyone on here that it wasn't your fault, and the other cyclist shouldn't have been riding so close behind you.

The discussion then moved on to more interesting technical braking details (at least for me) when you claimed that a MTB could stop more quickly than a road bike. It's still my contention that you're wrong on this, and I don't get why you're so wound up.

I think we should do a testing down on the Serpentine Road in Hyde Park or somewhere else suitable, with a MTBer, roadie, and recumbent bike and trike. I'm sure the results would be quite interesting and make for a good video. To compare braking in traffic is dangerous, and is more a test of who has the greatest courage/stupidity rather than any real comparison of stopping ability, which is what this discussion is currently about.

As for your atti-rude comment, I really don't get that.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The other bit I forgot to add is that I'm genuinely interested in the real answer from a technical point of view. I'd be quite happy to throw my hands up and admit it if I'm completely incorrect and cupoftea was right all along.

OP
OP
C

cupoftea

Sorry Bent, I have to deal with idiots all day and you caught me at the wrong mo

Braking in the dry on a clean smooth surface
Worst Best
MTB/ silly knobblies, Road bike , Hybrid-MTB , Recumbent, Trike

I don’t have a road bike, but I’m thinking about getting one as I’m going to do a long ride hopefully this summer, I’m not anti Road / etc and I accept that all bikes are different.

In a recent MTB ride those rider who had both, felt that the MTB on the road would stop first. (With certain provisos)

I hope he doesn’t mind, coming from a CAT 1 and national MTB racer: He approximately said “Generally road bikes are built for speed, not stopping, any braking that needs to be done is to control the bike either whilst descending or on cornering.
MTB are now built primarily to go downhill, yes they’ve got to be able to climb, but it’s going downhill that the fun is had, you’re on the brakes a lot and the handling has to cope with bridal paths and single track.”

Top Bottom