Ridden into by another cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cupoftea

Sorry to the cyclist who broke his bike on the back of mine, I had to stop, the car infront had just pulled over to clear the lorry and I'd have been squished if I'd continued.

I can only assume you were too close as I hadn't changed road position for the last 50 yards.

Please be warned MTB’s stop quicker than racing bikes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oops! Oh well, not your fault.

I'm not so sure MTBs stop quicker than road bikes, at least on the road. Discuss!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
BentMikey said:

I'm not so sure MTBs stop quicker than road bikes, at least on the road. Discuss!

This is surely down to the conditon of the brakes and how fast you're going.
MTB's being a tad slower they might stop quicker.

Isn't it time we hired a road testing area and ran a series of CC Tests to expound or denounce the multifarious views that are carried on some of these threads. Might put a stop to some of the bun fights?

T x

:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
Nothing can stop quicker than my fixie with a 105 dual pivot front brake. And that has been proved scientifically too.

cupoftea said:
Sorry to the cyclist who broke his bike on the back of mine, I had to stop, the car infront had just pulled over to clear the lorry and I'd have been squished if I'd continued.

I can only assume you were too close as I hadn't changed road position for the last 50 yards.

Please be warned MTB’s stop quicker than racing bikes.

What exactly was the damage? Were you both ok otherwise?

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:
This is surely down to the conditon of the brakes and how fast you're going.
MTB's being a tad slower they might stop quicker.

Isn't it time we hired a road testing area and ran a series of CC Tests to expound or denounce the multifarious views that are carried on some of these threads. Might put a stop to some of the bun fights?

T x

:biggrin:

We'll never stop the bunfights, but hiring a test track sounds fun. Could we have that one they went to on Top Gear (MIRA?)? Or the Top Gear airfield perhaps...

domtyler

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
My Hope Mono 6Ti hydraulic disk is far more powerful than any rim brake. Add suspension into the mix and there is no chance a roadbike can stop faster.

On my fixie if I stop peddling the back wheel stops, it is also far far lighter than your MTB. I also don't need to think about it or move any muscles to engage the 'rear brake', the millisecond I see any reason to stop I am already slowing down.

There is only any point in being able to lock the wheel anyway, and any rim brake should be able to do that so long as they are in good order. More powerful brakes are just a waste.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, but with an MTB you can lock on the brakes without worrying the back end will come over your head - or is that 'cos my MTB is well heavy !

Don't follow an MTB too close, they tend to be built for some rough tough stuff.....

domtyler

Über Member
fossyant said:
Ah, but with an MTB you can lock on the brakes without worrying the back end will come over your head - or is that 'cos my MTB is well heavy !

Don't follow an MTB too close, they tend to be built for some rough tough stuff.....

Believe me I don't follow MTB's! ;)

domtyler said:
On my fixie if I stop peddling the back wheel stops, it is also far far lighter than your MTB. I also don't need to think about it or move any muscles to engage the 'rear brake', the millisecond I see any reason to stop I am already slowing down.

There is only any point in being able to lock the wheel anyway, and any rim brake should be able to do that so long as they are in good order. More powerful brakes are just a waste.

Locking your rear wheel actually decreases your braking power as well as your control.

A bike under full braking power will be using near zero rear brake, as the rear wheel should barely be touching the ground.

Also you cannot just stop pedalling mid stroke, because that is impossible. Also you have to bring to bear much larger, more powerful muscles to stop your pedals turning than you do to pull a brake lever.

I have no doubt that you can stop very quickly DT, as you are a very experienced cyclist, but the rear wheel braking fixie riders go on about is much less efficient than a caliper brake.

gazzaputt

BentMikey said:

As I ride both V-brakes and especially disc are far more powerful than twins on road bikes.

Top Bottom