riding at night, anyone else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Great vid. Also sounds like a DT Swiss Ratchet freehub if ever I heard one (36 or 54t)?
Thanks.. 54 on a Trek Fuel EX9

well I must say I love having the light on the helmet. having it point where I'm looking is great. like for going over foot bridges & making turns. a better light & camera are in my future but I'll wait until after covid & my 2nd job picks up hours. gotta stay practical now

View: https://youtu.be/Rq9FBNnKORU

combining it with the cam is good too, if there's anything worth recording. no owl tonight. I wonder if I upset his behaviour the last 2 nites? making my own mount was fun today but I have an actual helmet mount that came with the cheap knock off light. having that big battery on my head wasn't bad at all. really surprising

an added bonus of a helmet mounted light is anytime I wanted to look at my bar mounted computer, I simply just looked at it! I didn't have to fiddle with the headlamp hanging from my neck. which I think I will just stow on my bag as backup, or leave in my car since I have a backup bike light in my bag!

IMG_5954.jpg

Last edited:
continuing my best coal miner impression ...

rigging a light to the front on a helmet doesn't seem popular. in fact while searching the googlenets all I could find was ppl mounting either a camera OR a light at the top of the helmet. could not find anyone with both on the helmet. since I had a thing at home I scratched my head & did some work w/ scissors & hacksaw until I came down to this little thing. I attached it just before bed w/ 2 short dry wall screws. a face plant crash would be interesting. knowing me I'll keep working on a design & attachment that's better. good thing I have a bunch of old helmets to knock around with

started w/ this
starter.jpg

kept cutting until I wound up w/ this
mount top.JPG

mount bottom.JPG

mount side a.JPG

mount side b.JPG

mount top c.JPG

the aim seems ok

11-20 vid frame 1.jpg

Last edited:
having two screws pointing at your skull just seems so wrong!!!
hehe I don't disagree! the cam mount is glued but since I wasn't sure of the final install, I thought the screws would a good temp attachment. plus, as I looked around the house, that's what I had handy. I have another similar mount on order with slightly different side flanges. I might be able to glue that or use straps or zip ties to attach it

simongt

Guru
As I work shifts, I 'night ride' up to ten days a fortnight. It's so much more relaxing, especially in the rural part of the ride. Mind you, some of the sights to be seen in the city late are something - !:rofl:

. with a smile on his face no less ...
I'd go easy on those funny mushrooms you're finding in those damp woods.

LJR69

Last one I promise :biggrin:

Great little downhill trail at night with crappy cheapo lights. We almost got caught out in a couple of places that were deep mud and a..well...I think it must have been a bloody lake...also toward the end of the trail my light fell down over my face and I couldn't see diddly squat. Good crack though!

I'm the one in front

Drago

Legendary Member
The human brain has evolved to view images using a decent baseline between the lightsource (ie, the sun) and the eyes. The mathematical calculations your brain does at lightning speed are all geared with this in mind, and having the light soirce so close to the eyes with a minimal baseline co,promises that significantly. You will see better and your brain will interpret the images more speedily and accurately with a bar mounted light.

The other danger is that if you auger in that light may get punched into your brain. I've given CPR to someone that suffered an unexpected torch-brain spatial incompatibality incident, and I can tell you it isn't nice. He did live, but had to learn to walk again, can no longer cycle or drive, sufferers with seizures...its just not a good idea mounting something solid close to your brain like that.

LJR69

The human brain has evolved to view images using a decent baseline between the lightsource (ie, the sun) and the eyes. The mathematical calculations your brain does at lightning speed are all geared with this in mind, and having the light soirce so close to the eyes with a minimal baseline co,promises that significantly. You will see better and your brain will interpret the images more speedily and accurately with a bar mounted light.

The other danger is that if you auger in that light may get punched into your brain. I've given CPR to someone that suffered an unexpected torch-brain spatial incompatibality incident, and I can tell you it isn't nice. He did live, but had to learn to walk again, can no longer cycle or drive, sufferers with seizures...its just not a good idea mounting something solid close to your brain like that.
Thanks. I do have a bar mounted light as well. To be honest, neither are ideal and I've trying to find a magicshine 6500 for the longest time, just can't find them anywhere.

I did say to my mate (just after the recording stopped) that I need to get the light mounted on the top of my helmet. That's my job for the weekend. :smile:

Riding from train to our village last night I realised it was a clear night and almost full moon. There's nothing quite as beautiful as riding in bright moonlight.
that was always the theory behind the Dunwich Dynamo though I do remember at least once year where it didn't work - never saw the moon due to cloud - but thanks for the post - will look out for more full moons in future - my cheapo garmin tells you when they will be wherever.

Top Bottom