Riding in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As others I commute and rain certainly doesn't put me off that. Having said that I didn't go out today cos it was lashing down, if it was forecast but hadn't started, I would've gone out regardless but because it was tipping down I left it.
In a nutshell if I'm out and it starts I couldn't give a monkeys and I've had some really good summer rides in torrential rain but I do have a tendency to bottle out if it's bad before I start. I just struggle to get going.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I don't usually mind riding in rain, though today 40 miles in the wild wind and rain we had here in the NW it was a bit grim.
The first few minutes of a wet ride is the worst, you are still a bit cold and dry. Once you've got wet and are working hard enough to feel warm it's ok.
Once you are wet you don't get any wetter!

jnrmczip

As I stay in glasgow rain is not an uncommon thing. I don't like carrying a lot of things around when cycling so I have a windproof running jacket by karimor. Seems to work well drys quickly. To be honest though I enjoy the rain less people about to get in my way on the commute and also cools me down on the way home as it's mostly up hill. Does get a bit annoying of its really windy but otherwise fine. P's I still wear shorts in the rain also

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was out early this morning to avoid the widely forecast rain that was due mid-morning. I stayed dry but the the wind was a nightmare, either in my face or trying to unseat me from the side.
I'd rather have been out in the rain, once you're wet you're wet so its just a case of getting on with it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Raincoat with hood (made for walking more than cycling), seal skinz mittens, rain legs. I sacrifice the lower legs and feet (dry socks in the dry bag, ideally, if I'm not going home and was expecting rain). I can ride for at least an hour or two of ordinary rain with most of me dry. Yesterday's showerhead burst of driving rain was a bit much but only lasted a few minutes, then I dried out and it was a spectacular clear day.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Torrential rain and howling gales on the audax today.

Rain wasn't a problem... You get wet. cold was the issue last descent off the tops was horrible as we were so cold we couldn't feel the brakes or change gear.....

outlash

also available in orange
The only time rain has been an issue was the last August bank holiday when me and a couple of mates rode from London to home. I didn't bother with mudguards and fatally didn't get clothing right either so it was 80 odd miles of occasional drudgery in constant rain interspersed with moments of 'we're idiots' camerarderie.

What I learnt was it's better to be warm when it's wet. Cold is no fun.

Tony.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Torrential rain and howling gales on the audax today.

Rain wasn't a problem... You get wet. cold was the issue last descent off the tops was horrible as we were so cold we couldn't feel the brakes or change gear.....
Why did you need to change gear or brake on that cross/headwind descent? :whistle:

I was glad that I wimped out of it!

buggi

Bird Saviour
I commute so ride in the rain a lot. Once you're soaked it can't get any worse. I gave up on waterproof clothing because I'd end up wetter from the boil in the bag effect. As long as I'm warm I don't care about being wet.

@buggi has reminded me of a great ride I had in summer 2013. We'd had 2 weeks of high temperatures. I was cycling home one evening in a normal t-shirt and 3/4 length shorts when the heavens opened. 20 minutes later I got home soaked to the skin but feeling really refreshed.
And there is something about the air isn't there? So fresh and clean and smells great

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What's your experience of riding in the rain?
I live in Scotland :rain::cold: and more :rain:
Don't mind getting wet, specially in summer. True, as @buggi mentioned, drivers get worse when the visibility is reduced, I thought this was only me imagining things!
I don't have any proper gear, my journeys are mostly short with changing facilities at destination.
If I got caught by torrential rain on a long ride I would wait it out under a shelter or abandon.
Obviously, for a long planned ride with no bail out options I would invest in the proper clothing.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Warm rain is ok but I don't like, as someone already said, when it's so heavy that you can't see if there are nasty potholes under the standing water. Certainly prefer rain to wind.

Top Bottom