Riding in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
@buggi has reminded me of a great ride I had in summer 2013. We'd had 2 weeks of high temperatures. I was cycling home one evening in a normal t-shirt and 3/4 length shorts when the heavens opened. 20 minutes later I got home soaked to the skin but feeling really refreshed.

Yes I remember cycling home from the gym one time in the rain, and whilst everyone else was running to their cars (lazy Bs!! :whistle:), I was out cycling, getting well and truly soaked, it felt wonderful, and yes, it was just so refreshing!!

I even extended my journey, but that said, I wasn't out for long as I noticed I was starting to get cold after a while, but, I was out for just enough to make it worthwhile!!
I imagine that running in the rain is similar, it keeps you cool.

I will cycle in rain and as others have said, it is best if you are warm as a cold wind can just rip straight through you, making you feel miserable.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm pretty much waterproof on my daily five miles each way commute. I have a pair of very uncool waterproof overtrousers and a reasonable jacket. I quite relish bad weather for short distances. On longer rides, it's a different story. I don't mind being wet but I detest being cold. After a while, hands and feet get really cold and morale ebbs away. Taking the sodden stuff off and getting into a hot shower is absolute bliss.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
AS others have said it's not the actual rain that bothers me, it's being wet and cold that I hate.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed - six of us got caught out doing Paris to Rome in 2013 ... you'd have thought that by the start of June we'd be OK, but on the day to Annecy, going over the Jura mountains, we go properly caught out, and after a freezing descent in the pouring rain, we retired to a McDonalds (that shows how desperate we were) just to try to stop shivering. The worst bit was that we knew that once we'd recovered a bit we had to go back out in it and do the last 40 miles. An experience I'd never ever want to repeat.

Steady

Über Member
I don't mind the rain in the sense it's wet stuff once you get wet you might as well just accept it, but riding with glasses is horrible, but bearable (providing they don't mist up), what puts me off or gets me to turn around the majority of the time is the fact my brake blocks are rubbish in the rain.

Or I might feel the back wheel slip a little on a long sweeping turn and it just puts me right off.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That's the beauty of disc brakes, the wet hardly affects them :smile:.

Tony.

I noticed that yesterday.

A nervous fraction of a second while the pads clear the water, but then all but normal braking.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I did last summer's London 100, shortened to 86 miles thanks to the American hurricane, which dumped biblical amounts of warm rain on Britain. To my great surprise my emergency Castelli Sottile jacket actually kept me pretty dry. The best precuation I took was to fit some Crud guards to the Roubaix, which meant I always had somebody sitting on my wheel enjoying a splash-free tow. All in all it wasn't an unpleasant experience, even with a puncture somewhere on the way back into Town.

si_c

Guru
Quite enjoy riding in the rain, I get really hot when riding anyway, so it's always refreshing. I tend to ride in normal clothes, so provided I'm not wearing jeans, I'm usually fine.

Roscoe

Veteran
Can't really avoid a wee bit of rain living in Scotland. Went out yesterday at 0700 for 2 hours, torrential rain, cold, very windy. Was a tough old ride, but great feeling when I got home, face glowing, legs nicely tired.

It's only rain!

Top Bottom