Riding in the rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
I don't mind riding in the rain during summer, if it isn't too cool I am fine with it and actually kind of enjoy it. It is a little harder to see because of my glasses and I take into consideration that it is more difficult for drivers to see as well. I will just turn on my front and rear lights and be much more observant if I think the situation warrants it. I do get a little nervous about lightning. Two people in my area died this past week from lightning strikes they received on the same day. A guy north of me was walking in a parking lot and a lady to that lived south of me was walking her dogs right in front of her house. Both were within about 20 miles of where I live. I am sure I will be a little more paranoid than normal about lightning this summer. I have been caught out in thunderstorms before and there isn't much you can do if there is no shelter except stay away from trees and crouch down.. I haven't resorted to doing that yet but there were a couple of times I was considering it.

Last edited:

Digressing slightly

On 'two legs', the rain doesn't bother Jonny Brownlee

That was a damned grim race, & yes, that is rain bouncing off the road!!! ('Auld Lang Syne', 31st December 2012)

_G108909.jpg

I'll admit my commute is less than 5 miles, by the shortest route, but you still get wet

When I'm on the bike, I tend not to bother with a waterproof jacket, as the (usual) thermal Giordana, or planet X, has invariably drip-dried by the end of the shift
'Ditto' bib-tights, & neoprene overshoes keep the worst off my feet

When running, unless it's very cold, I'll just wear shorts
On top, it's usually one of theose cheap(£10??) hi-viz gilets from somewhere like Sports Direct
Long-sleeve t-shirt & a buff (or woolly hat)

Last edited:
Top Bottom