Riding partners with different abilities - how to even the playing field

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, fair point about riding at his speed - this is of course what I've been doing so far... but when I only manage to fit one long ride in a week it's a shame never to be able to push a bit. Not interested in racing or bragging rights, but going fast (well, fast for me) is just, well, fun :smile:

MikeG, great idea about letting a little air out of the tyres, I'll give this a go tomorrow.

17mph is a PB average speed, over 28 rather flat miles - over typical Devon (hilly) routes I'm much closer to 15mph. I used to ride 30-50 miles on weekend jaunts, so the 60 mile target will be no problem - it's more about finding the time at the weekends to fit it in.
Hi Chris, where in Devon are you?

I'm in Plym, and training for 60 miles as well, so depending on where you are, I could possibly join you and help spur you along, but also help with your friend too?

It's a shame you're unable to do more long rides, but I'm the same, although I try and do a long ride during the week as well.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Hi Rob,

I'd definitely be up for going riding together sometime, if convenient! A bit more experience riding with others would be a positive for both me and my friend, and it'd be nice to have a social side to our rides.

I'm based just outside of Exeter, and start most of my rides from the doorstep, since we currently lack a bike rack for our car. So Plymouth is perhaps a little bit of a hop away... On the other hand, my friend and I are thinking of sticking the bikes in his car and venturing a little further afield later in the season, so perhaps we could meet somewhere in the middle? Maybe Okehampton, then we could plan a route around the Granite way.

If you have any routes in mind, drop me a PM and perhaps we can organise a trip :smile:

Kies

went out for 3 x 3.1 mile loops yesterday with my training buddy.
loop 1 we do it together taking turns to be in front ....
loop 2 he says "ready to speed up then " ...well i tried but he dropped me after a mile
loop 3 - never saw him.

my average time per loop is 11 minutes (my taps are steady)
his is 9.5 minutes with the taps open

got back and had a quick chat about cars and life before retiring to our humble abodes ... he text me today saying "great ride", so i said well it wasn't really a ride together was it, and explained that when he wants to do speed work, he should do it alone .... i came back from the ride feeling a bit miffed if i am honest ... not because he is so much faster than me (good for him i say), more in the fact i cannot keep up at the moment with the unexplained weight i mysteriously collected around my middle over the long winter :-)

was i wrong to say how i feel?

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Good communication is definitely a good thing (whatever the problem may be!). My riding partner and I have chatted about our situation a bit, and agreed that he sets the pace during our rides together, and I do extra solo work before/after the ride to get a bit more of a workout. This works nicely for both of us, and there's no worrying whether I'm pushing too hard or he's holding me up etc etc

Of the suggestions listed here, the best one for me has been to let down your tyres a touch if cycling with a slower friend (or encourage them to do the same if they are faster) - this allows a better matching of both pace and effort for both riders.

Top Bottom