Riding Position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
I've been riding for a couple of years now and I've fiddled around with all the adjustable parts of the bike that let me change my position which finaly allowed me to find the settings that I'm happy with.

The thing is that my left knee seems to brush lightly against the top bar of my bike. I've let it pass and let it pass but with me really looking to up the mileage this year I don't want to risk doing something which is potentially bad for me.

On last night's ride home I really thought about my pedal action and where the pressure is applied through the stroke and it seems that my right foot allows the power to be applied through the whole of the contact area in my shoe (from the ball of my foot all the way accross the the little toe) but with my left foot there's what feels like a gap beneath my little toe. All the power is comming from the ball of my foot.

When I plant my foot firmy down with full contact my knee doesn't touch but it doesn't feel natural and is just something else to think about.

There isn't any pain or discomfort but I was just wondering if anyone else has similar issues?

I hope that makes sense. ;)

walker

you don't appear to have a problem, unless there is any pain from the joints.

Riding with the legs closer to the bike frame your shaving time and gaining speed by drawing yourself in.

If you are that concerned with the riding style I would suggest altering the cleats (you ride clipless?) on your left foot

Bill Gates

Brahan said:
I've been riding for a couple of years now and I've fiddled around with all the adjustable parts of the bike that let me change my position which finaly allowed me to find the settings that I'm happy with.

The thing is that my left knee seems to brush lightly against the top bar of my bike. I've let it pass and let it pass but with me really looking to up the mileage this year I don't want to risk doing something which is potentially bad for me.

On last night's ride home I really thought about my pedal action and where the pressure is applied through the stroke and it seems that my right foot allows the power to be applied through the whole of the contact area in my shoe (from the ball of my foot all the way accross the the little toe) but with my left foot there's what feels like a gap beneath my little toe. All the power is comming from the ball of my foot.

When I plant my foot firmy down with full contact my knee doesn't touch but it doesn't feel natural and is just something else to think about.

There isn't any pain or discomfort but I was just wondering if anyone else has similar issues?

I hope that makes sense. ;)

You should endeavour to bring balance to your pedalling action and by saying that one leg is brushing the top tube implies that the other is not, which is an imbalance. On the other hand both feet are pushing against a flat solid surface (i.e. sole of the shoe) and even though you may feel the force differently in your feet the force will be spread equally throughout the sole in the same way.

It's not really an issue unless you are concerned that this might impact on your power. I've found the best way to deal with pedalling technique problems is to practice pedalling at a high cadence. At 100 rpm it's too fast to think about and you end up automatically pedalling correctly.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Due an old knee injury, my left knee points in, it's the most comfortable position for it.
If it is touching then there is probably something out of align, and it's best to fix it.

Top Bottom