Road bike tyres/canal path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
Just wondering if I can take my road bike onto a canal path? It's a spesh secteur with 25c tyres.

Or should I stick to my hybrid, it has 700x35 tyres on it? It's just so damn heavy.

Cheers!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We have had to do a few canal paths while we have been on a road ride, so far no problems, but i don't like doing it but as long as the paths are not to gravely you should be alright.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've done many (short-ish) stretches on tow-paths and the like on road tyres, 23 or 25mm, and while it's definitely more comfortable on fatter tyres, it's quite do-able on the thin ones too.

MarkF

Guru
Depends on towpath as much as the tyres, I often commute Leeds to Saltaire and I couldn't/wouldn't use my road bike, much as I'd like to. It's enormously variable, from perfect for 23's to impossible for 25's

I use a hybrid with 32mm M+'s.

madferret

Über Member
I have found where a towpath is on the NCN its OK, but I have been on some on my hybrid with 35 knobblies and still wanted a mountain bike! Some I don't think would be passable on a road bike/skinny road tires.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Just wondering if I can take my road bike onto a canal path? It's a spesh secteur with 25c tyres.

Or should I stick to my hybrid, it has 700x35 tyres on it? It's just so damn heavy.

Cheers!
What bit of canal Lesley? Most of the canal path round Glasgow is not bad. There is a gravel stretch just after Clydebank. Maryhill to Bishopbriggs and thereabouts is ok. After the Falkirk wheel it's dire even on my 2.00's.

OP
OP
lesley_x

lesley_x

Über Member
What bit of canal Lesley? Most of the canal path round Glasgow is not bad. There is a gravel stretch just after Clydebank. Maryhill to Bishopbriggs and thereabouts is ok. After the Falkirk wheel it's dire even on my 2.00's.

I've been doing Maryhill to Clydebank sort of stretch? I just love the comfort of my road bike and the drop bars. I do see other folk on road bikes on the stretch I'm doing.

This calls for a cyclocross bike! :P Kidding on my husband would KILL ME. lol.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Cobbles and gravel are usually ok on skinny tyres, but I'd avoid them on mud (or, if dry, corrugated mud).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've been doing Maryhill to Clydebank sort of stretch? I just love the comfort of my road bike and the drop bars. I do see other folk on road bikes on the stretch I'm doing.

This calls for a cyclocross bike! :P Kidding on my husband would KILL ME. lol.
After Clydebank it can get a bit iffy in bits on a road bike. So I'm told by friends, for me it's no problem, all my bikes weight a ton, have biggggg tyres :training:

Davidc

Guru
I've used my tourer with 32mm 700c tyres on the whole of the Bridgewater and Taunton and the Kennet and Avon between Bath and Devizes with no difficulty, but both are comfier on my mtb fitted with 1.5 inch marathons.

Tight Git

Veteran
I fitted 28s to my 2010 Secteur sport and did C2C 2 weeks ago on it including some off road gravel tracks. Just be sensible and don't try and jump kerbs etc and it should be okay.

Top Bottom