Road bike versus Road touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
That saddle looks like it is tilted back a bit to me. I,d drop the nose a touch.
How would I go about going that?

vickster

Legendary Member
How would I go about going that?
Loosen the bolt, wiggle it around until it looks level, check with spirit level (there are apps on IOS and Android if no actual spirit level to hand). It won't do anything to the reach. Do you find the saddle comfortable like that? If so, perhaps leave

bigjim

Legendary Member
Loosen the bolt, wiggle it around until it looks level, check with spirit level (there are apps on IOS and Android if no actual spirit level to hand). It won't do anything to the reach. Do you find the saddle comfortable like that? If so, perhaps leave
It would lengthen the reach as you would be leaning back surely. When I have inadvertently had a saddle like that I have. Had a bad back and crotch pressure caused by the awkward position.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
It would lengthen the reach as you would be leaning back surely. When I have inadvertently had a saddle like that I have. Had a bad back and crotch pressure caused by the awkward position.
Well I've tilted the saddle so it's pointed down ever so slightly. Took it for a spin down the road and initial impressions are it seems more comfortable.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've tilted it now so it's pointing slightly down. That seems more comfortable. Presumably it's fine to have it pointing slightly down, rather than being completely level, if it feels comfortable?

I've tilted it now so it's pointing slightly down. That seems more comfortable. Presumably it's fine to have it pointing slightly down, rather than being completely level, if it feels comfortable?

It's up to you but it's a risk you might give your lower back some gyp and or affect your hands and wrists as being tilted forward will tip you onto the handlebar and also push the saddles rear end into your, er rear end.

By the way it is possibly possible to do what you suggested and rotate the seat post through 180 degrees and then adjust the line and tilt of the saddle to level, if you have a saddle clamp that allows enough tilting. I tried it once. But I don't recommend it with that seat post as it will put you in a very racy position.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
It's up to you but it's a risk you might give your lower back some gyp and or affect your hands and wrists as being tilted forward will tip you onto the handlebar and also push the saddles rear end into your, er rear end.

By the way it is possibly possible to do what you suggested and rotate the seat post through 180 degrees and then adjust the line and tilt of the saddle to level, if you have a saddle clamp that allows enough tilting. I tried it once. But I don't recommend it with that seat post as it will put you in a very racy position.
Well having it as it was before was giving my lower back some gyp. I can always change it back if it's bad i guess

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Saracen tour you are looking at is not a touring bike it's an entry level road bike. It has no mounts for racks, no mount for rear mudguards and it's certainly not geared for hills/touring. It does look in good condition and if you can get it for £85 then it's a decent price. The bar tape looks ok, I don't think it's filthy as it wouldn't have such an even colour, I think a greyish colour tape has been used.
There is one for sale on eBay, it will never achieve what the seller wants but the pictures are clear and you can see what components it has, it's all pretty basic, it'll be heavy but for £85 it's worth a punt, if you find it unsuitable then you should get your money back.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=222393804151&globalID=EBAY-GB
There is another Saracen here;
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=302230344110&globalID=EBAY-GB

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Well having it as it was before was giving my lower back some gyp. I can always change it back if it's bad i guess
That's probably also down to the bike being too big and being overstretched. But anything is worth a try. Have you also flipped the stem to bring the bars up a bit?

vickster

Legendary Member
The Saracen tour you are looking at is not a touring bike it's an entry level road bike. It has no mounts for racks, no mount for rear mudguards and it's certainly not geared for hills/touring. It does look in good condition and if you can get it for £85 then it's a decent price. The bar tape looks ok, I don't think it's filthy as it wouldn't have such an even colour, I think a greyish colour tape has been used.
There is one for sale on eBay, it will never achieve what the seller wants but the pictures are clear and you can see what components it has, it's all pretty basic, it'll be heavy but for £85 it's worth a punt, if you find it unsuitable then you should get your money back.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=222393804151&globalID=EBAY-GB
There is another Saracen here;
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=302230344110&globalID=EBAY-GB
He's decided against it (post #71)

bigjim

Legendary Member
The thing about lower back and weight on hands might have some merit, although I can't see the lower back thing. But we are all different and much of bike fit is based on the norm for that skeleton. Froome has his seat lower than the accepted position for his frame. So do I. It is what works for you.

Top Bottom